Saturday, January 25, 2020

Suffering in Victory



Gtcotr/ss012620

What would you do if you had a copy of tomorrow’s newspaper? How much would you be willing to bet on a game that had already been played? Well, I have a copy of tomorrow’s newspaper … it’s called the Bible, God’s Holy Word. It is the truth and I have read the last page … Jesus is victorious, and we win!!!

Imagine fighting a battle knowing you’ve already won. It’s like watching a movie for a second or third time. You already know the end. I tend to watch old movies that were filmed in black and white. One reason is because the good guys always win. However, even when I know it’s all going to work out and even though I have seen it several times, sometimes I still get a little anxious when the drama increases, and the star of the show is being ambushed.

Often, I have to remind myself, it’s ok … I know how this turns out … it’s gonna be ok … and every time, when the drama and scare is over, I feel so relieved. That’s our life in Christ on planet earth. We are guaranteed a “Happily Ever After” life throughout eternity, we just have to get through the earthly drama that’s being delivered to us by the bad guys.

Victory in Jesus is our reality. Suffering through the drama of this life is also a reality. God wants us to live a victorious life even when we face moments filled with drama or suffering. It’s not just a matter of perspective … It’s a matter of faith.

Just like the Apostle John said:

1 John 5:4  For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world — our faith.

Let’s look at a few examples of people who were suffering in victory on their way to their happily-ever-after.

Paul
2 Timothy 1 NKJV
8  Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God,
9  who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began,
10  but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,
11  to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.
12  For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.

Job
Job 19 NKJV
23 ¶  “Oh, that my words were written! Oh, that they were inscribed in a book!
24  That they were engraved on a rock With an iron pen and lead, forever!
25  For I know that my Redeemer lives, And He shall stand at last on the earth;
26  And after my skin is destroyed, this I know, That in my flesh I shall see God,
27  Whom I shall see for myself, And my eyes shall behold, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!

Ruth
Ruth 1 NKJV
16  But Ruth replied, “Don’t ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God.
17  Wherever you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!”

Jesus

Hebrews 12:2  looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Jesus is the ultimate example of someone suffering in this life while keeping His eye on the victory.

It’s not over until God says it’s over.

Our victory is not in our enemy’s defeat, but in our God.

1 Peter 5
7  Cast all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
8  Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
9  Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.
10  But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.
11  To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

1 Peter 5:10  But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.

·       Perfect
o   Mend; Repair; Restore; Make fit again
·       Establish
o   Stabilize; Set in Place; Confirm
·       Strengthen
o   Make Strong; Able to Stand on your own two feet
·       Settle
o   Lay a Foundation; Firmly Grounded; Rooted

Once we make Jesus Christ the Lord of our life, we are guaranteed a “happily-ever-after” eternity. The trials, tribulations, testing, temptations, and all the drama this world and the devil can throw into the mix pales in comparison the victory we have in Christ. The biggest fight we have in this life is our fight of faith. Have faith in God and if you suffer, suffer knowing you have victory in Christ. Don’t let the devil deceive you – he is a loser, and you are a winner. The devil can’t defeat you. Resist him steadfast in the faith you have in the finished work of Jesus. Resist the devil in faith and he will flee.

Supporting Scriptures
1 Peter 4:16  Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.

1 Peter 4:19  Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.

2 Timothy 3:12  Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.

John 16:33  “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”