Concerning Spiritual Things continued
If you are viewing our live stream via the web or by television, you may log onto cotr.com and click the link for archived messages and download, print out or simply view a complete copy of the sermon notes for this evening. For those of you here, follow along with me on the big screen as we turn to:
1 Corinthians 12 (NKJV)
1 ¶ Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant:
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
I. Would not have you ignorant of the things of the spirit.
A. Each Person Has Been Gifted By Grace For Specific Purposes
B. Some People Are Appointed To Perform Certain Duties
C. Other People Are Assigned Positions Of Administration
D. There Are Five Tools Jesus Uses To Build The Church
E. The Holy Spirit Accomplishes Some Things Working Directly Through People In Nine Discernable Ways
II. The Manifestations Of The Spirit
A. But - deh used 2870 times, 13 times - moreover - (additionally)
B. Manifestation - Phanerosis (fan-er’-o-sis) something made visible or made known that was previously hidden or unknown.
C. Profit - sumphero (soom-fer’-o) to contribute in order to help
8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,
9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,
10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
III. The Holy Spirit Working Through People In Nine Different Ways
1. Word of Wisdom - Sophia (sof-ee’-ah) “Noah build a boat”
2. Word of Knowledge gnosis (gno’sis) “Noah it’s going to rain”
3. Faith - pistis (pis’-tis) conviction of the truth
4. Gifts of Healings (curing; remedy; immediate or process)
a. Gifts - charisma (khar’-is-msh) divine grace enabled
b. Healings - iama (ee’-am-ah) healing or cure
5. Working of Miracles
a. Working - energema (en-erg’-ay-mah) operation
b. Miracles - dunamis (doo’-nam-is) virtue; power; ability
1. Acts 1:8 You shall receive (dunamis)
2. Mark 5:30 He felt virtue (dunamis) go out of Him
3. Acts 4:33 with great power gave the Apostles witness
4. Acts 6:8 Stephen, full of faith and power
5. Mt 6:13 thine is the kingdom, the power...
6. Mt 7:22 didn’t we do many wonderful works ...
7. Mt 22:29 you do err not knowing ... nor the power of
8. Acts 19:11 God wrought special miracles by the hands
9. Luke 1:35 the power of the Highest shall overshadow
10. Luke 4:14 Jesus returned in the power of the spirit
Note: dunamis is used 120 times in the NT, once for each person present in the upper room at the outpouring of the Holy Ghost on the day of Pentecost when the world received the dunamis of God!
6. Prophecy - propheteia (prof-ay-ti’-ah) divinely inspired speech given through a person from God to reprove, exhort, comfort, direct or correct, in efforts to guide or forewarn an individual or group concerning the future and/or God’s present will.
a. 1 Co 14:6 4 ways we come with a message from God
b. 1Co 14:22 a sign to the believer (tongues - unbelievers)
c. 1Th 5:20 despise not prophesying
d. 1Ti 1:18 remember the prophecies which went on before ... Use them to make war with
e. 1Ti 4:14 gifts (charisma) given thee by prophecy ... hands
f. 2Pe 1:20 no prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation
1. Prophecy needs to be the whole counsel of God’s word and confirmed in the mouth of two or three witnesses
2. The only secure way to interpret scripture is with scripture
g. Rev 1:3 John called the book of Revelation prophecy
7. Discerning of Spirits
a. Discerning - diakrisis (dee-ak’-ree-sis) to judge
1. From diakrino (dee-ak-ree’-no) to doubt; hesitate; waver; stagger; judge; discriminate
a. Rom4 Abraham did not stagger (diakrino) at promise
b. James 1:6 nothing wavering (diakrino)
b. Spirits - punema (pnyoo’-mah) an efficient source of power, affection, emotion, influence and desire.
8. Different kinds of Tongues
a. Kinds - genos (ghen’-os) diverse types relating to kind
b. Tongues - glossa (gloce-sah’) the language or dialect used by a nation or people as different from other nations or peoples
1. Acts 2:3 cloven tongues of fire
2. Acts 2:11 speak in our own tongues
3. Acts 10:46 spoke in tongues in Ceaserea
4. Acts 19:6 spoke in tongues at Ephesus
5. Rom 14:11 every tongue shall confess
6. 1Co 12:30 do all speak in tongues?
7. 1Co 13:1 tongues of men and of angles
9. Interpretation of Tongues
a. Interpretation - hermeneia (her-may-ni’-ah) an explanation in words more understood by those listening
b. Tongues same as above
* Vs. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.