Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Acts 24 Gossip


Gtcotr/ws011520

At this point, it had been one week since Paul had arrived in Jerusalem, went up to the temple to worship, and had been arrested. So many things had happened in this short week. Paul had been arrested by the Romans and a plot to assassinate him had been discovered by the Roman Commander. Paul was secretly taken by night from Jerusalem, about 60 miles Northwest, to Caesarea where the governor of the province, Governor Felix, resided. The next day, Governor Felix decided to send to Jerusalem for Paul’s accusers so they could appear before him to lodge their official complaint.

Acts 24
1 ¶  Five days later Ananias, the high priest, arrived with some of the Jewish elders and the lawyer Tertullus, to present their case against Paul to the governor.

5  We have found this man to be a troublemaker who is constantly stirring up riots among the Jews all over the world. He is a ringleader of the cult known as the Nazarenes.
6  Furthermore, he was trying to desecrate the Temple when we arrested him.

I have no doubt that these accusers believed they were right in what they were saying and in what they were doing. However:

Believing you’re right doesn’t always mean you’re right.

These men were basing their opinions on second or third hand information. They weren’t there as is evident from a later statement by Paul as he tells the governor that those men who were actually there should be present at this hearing if they had anything of which to accuse him.

Once an individual, a court, or a community takes up a reproach against a person, it is hard for them to judge without that bias. This is why it is so important for us to not tell or listen to gossip, hearsay or conversations which assume bad things about others. How many times have relationships been damaged by someone repeating something that was said but not meant in the way it was repeated? This is a tragedy.

Proverbs 16:28  A troublemaker plants seeds of strife; gossip separates the best of friends.

If it happens among best friends, imagine how damaging gossiping is when it involves other people or situations. It’s best if we leave problems between two people between them and it’s best that if we have a problem with someone, we talk to them directly and not to others who may be tempted to take up a reproach.

Several years ago, a man cheated me and my family out of thousands of dollars and then he decided to protect himself by telling our mutual friends that I was simply unreasonable. Neither me nor my family member ever said a word to anyone about it. We didn’t agree but, rather than cause a greater problem, we accepted the loss, forgave the guy, and moved forward. However, that lying, thieving cheat was unable to continue working together and, loving money more than me, he separated from us and went on to steal from others. About two years later I was talking to a local pastor and he told me he was sorry about what had happened between me and this other person and how that event affected our relationship. This pastor continued by saying, “Well, I have heard both sides of the argument and I decided that you were probably both at fault.”

I listened to the pastor and when he concluded I felt God had given me an opportunity to learn, and to teach, another life principle. So, I questioned the pastor by saying, “How did you hear both sides of the story? I have never said one word to you about this and you don’t even know my family!” He just looked at me with a blank stare. I continued, “The only way you could have heard both sides, is if the other person told you both sides and that’s not hearing both sides, that’s just hearing one side.” He had an epiphany, shook his head, and apologized. He admitted that he had believed the other person and as a result of his story had been treating me differently and, he had been repeating what he thought he knew to others ever since he heard how unfair I had treated my friend.

This pastor and I both learned a great lesson that day and I have never yet told him my side and I won’t. Why … it’s none of his business and it might make him take up a reproach against the other guy. But I wonder if other people think they know the truth because they heard it from this pastor. I wonder how many people believe that I caused that relationship to fail because I was being unreasonable. Interesting huh? I wonder what people think about you that’s not quite the truth? Or, what you think about others?

Let’s decide that we are not going to be a talebearer … that’s the KJV word for gossip.

Proverbs 11:13  A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.

Proverbs 18:8  The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.

Proverbs 20:19  He that goeth about as a talebearer revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips.

Proverbs 26:20  Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.

Proverbs 26:22  The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.

King Solomon said that the first person to tell the story is the one who is believed until the whole matter is revealed. Maybe, just maybe, we don’t know both sides …

When Paul was asked by Governor Felix to make his defense he includes:

Acts 24
12  My accusers never found me arguing with anyone in the Temple, nor stirring up a riot in any synagogue or on the streets of the city.
13  These men cannot prove the things they accuse me of doing.
14  “But I admit that I follow the Way, which they call a cult. I worship the God of our ancestors, and I firmly believe the Jewish law and everything written in the prophets.
15  I have the same hope in God that these men have, that he will raise both the righteous and the unrighteous.
16  Because of this, I always try to maintain a clear conscience before God and all people.

I love that “clear conscience” thing. It’s a challenge just to say those words in earnest. Don’t we hope we can say that and be right?

22 ¶  At that point Felix, who was quite familiar with the Way, adjourned the hearing and said, “Wait until Lysias, the garrison commander, arrives. Then I will decide the case.”
23  He ordered an officer to keep Paul in custody but to give him some freedom and allow his friends to visit him and take care of his needs.
24  A few days later Felix came back with his wife, Drusilla, who was Jewish. Sending for Paul, they listened as he told them about faith in Christ Jesus.
25  As he reasoned with them about righteousness and self-control and the coming day of judgment, Felix became frightened. “Go away for now,” he replied. “When it is more convenient, I’ll call for you again.”

Listen to the subjects the Holy Spirit led Paul to discuss with the Governor:

1.  Righteous
2.  Self-Control
3.  The Judgement to Come

Paul continued doing this for 2 whole years.

Conclusions: My take-a-ways are:

·       You don’t have to agree with someone to be their friend.
o   You owe no man anything but love.
o   Speaking the truth in love is important, especially when you disagree with a family member or a friend.
o   Not everyone who agrees with you is your friend.
·       Don’t talk bad about people.
o   You may not have the whole story, especially if:
o   Number three …
·       It’s none of your business.
o   Unless you’re a part of the problem or a part of the cure, you may be engaging in gossip.
o   If you’re a friend … you should be able to speak the truth in love … and …
o   If they’re a friend … they will listen. They may not agree but they should at least be willing to listen.
o   Respect is a two-way street!