Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Place To Start

Synopsis: One person's parting words are another person's starting words. The sermon 'A Place To Start' takes a brief look at the parting words of Jesus to His disciples to establish the reality that parting words are powerful, precious and meant to impact generations to come. With that principle in mind this message goes on to look at Seven Spiritual Goals left us as parting instructions from the Apostle Paul. Every believer will be challenged through this study to remember and employ these goals as a place to start.
Gtcotr/ss092307

The Bible specifically states that God chose the Apostle Paul to be His voice to the Gentiles concerning salvation and Kingdom living. Many people believe that the words written by him are therefore more directed to Gentile Believers than perhaps the letters by other writers in the Bible. This thought has some merit.

Although no word of God is void of power and not one of the least of God’s words will go unfulfilled, nonetheless there are specific words which have special meaning for an individual or group at any given time. We call these special words, those which are highlighted by God’s Holy Spirit in our souls if you will, Rhema Words.

It could be that some books of the Bible contain a greater number of Rhema Words for one group of people than another. For example, the books of the bible which deal with the Mosaic Law and sacrifice or the feasts in light of this Messianic Age might better fit the understanding and answer the questions of Jews more than Gentiles.

This by no means excuses any group from studying the whole counsel of God’s Word and making personal application as God leads. However, it may give us some understanding as to why some seem to identify more with one writer’s perspective than another’s.

With this in mind lets turn to a very important book in the New Testament written by the Apostle Paul late in his life to his dear son in the faith, Timothy. Lets begin this morning with:

2 Timothy 4

I believe this letter to Timothy was most likely written during Paul’s second imprisonment in Rome near AD 65. Timothy, Paul’s son in the faith, was in Ephesus at this time leading the church there. Paul, knowing he is soon to depart this world, wants to leave Timothy with words of encouragement and instructions to carry on in the faith. These are Paul’s parting words but Timothy’s starting words.

In the spring of 1987 I was pastoring a church in Ruston, Louisiana. One morning I awoke with a strong desire to go and visit my parents who lived about 150 miles away. I told Brenda, packed a bag and without calling ahead I got in my plane and took off for Texas.

When I was about 10 miles from my parents’ house in the rural community of Simms, Texas, I began my descent to about 500 feet and slowed my plane to about 70 knots. Soon I saw my dad out on his 3 acres, riding a lawnmower, cutting his grass. I set myself up and swooped down on him, buzzing his lawn mowing to get his attention. I don’t recommend anyone try this, it is not always a safe practice with highline wires and trees and towers and such … but I did. After about three close encounters with his lawnmower, he realized it must be me. When I saw him stop and get off I waved my wings and he headed for his pickup truck as I turned North to land in a field about 6 miles from his house.

I touched down and taxied to a clear spot where I could leave my plane out of the way just about the time he drove up, bouncing in that old Chevy truck. He met me before I could get out of the plane and asked what I was doing in Simms. I told him I had just come for a visit and grabbed my bag and we drove back to his house where lunch was just a few minutes from being ready. Mom always had food for a few unexpected guests at meal time.

For the next five days and nights I sat and talked with my mom and dad, just taking the ease of life and enjoying the company. Dad kept asking if I wanted to use the car or truck to go and visit friends or see local pastors but I told him no, I had just come to visit them and had no other agenda, I just went where he went and helped him do whatever he needed done.

After supper the last night before I left, dad and I sat on the front porch in the rocking chairs until bedtime watching the cars go by as we talked. I am the youngest of 4 children; I have 2 sisters and a brother. My brother is seven years older than me and was called to the ministry at 15 years old. He has never looked back since then, finishing his degree at East Texas Baptist University in Marshall, Texas and then on to Southwestern Seminary in Fort Worth. He always was a model believer, the good son and perfect older brother. He continues to be an example to me today both in my personal life and in the ministry, as are my two older sisters. I however was the rambunctious one of the family, a bit unpredictable and always full of a little too much energy.

Early in my adolescence my dad told me that he had raised one good son, referring to my brother, but that he was going to make me like him. I guess this was the philosophy he employed when he chose not to give me too many restrictions. He seemed to allow me to do things my own way, correct my own mistakes and only a few times did he ever just tell me what to do. I worked where he worked and did what he did. Now, all these years later, I only hope I can become half the man my dad was.

At any rate, that night on the porch something strange happened. Before we said good night my dad paused as though deeply considering what he was going to say then he looked at me and said in no uncertain terms: Son, you are called to be a preacher of God’s Word. There are allot of preachers out here but you have something special, a special way of teaching people the Word of God so that they can understand it and put it into practice in their lives. It makes sense when you say it.

Then he pointed his finger at me and commanded me: Don’t you ever stop preaching the Word of God. Don’t you ever quit … Allot depends on you … things you can’t even imagine.

With that he said good night and got up and went to bed. The next morning after an early breakfast he took me back to my plane and I flew back home. Three days later, my daddy died. A heart attack in the middle of the night took him home to be with the Lord. I got the call and jumped in my airplane but did not make it in time. It was ok in part because we had left nothing unsaid. I had received the parting words of my father and his blessing on my ministry.

Historically, parting words are precious words. Whether from my father or from Jesus to His disciples with The Great Commission, Jacob’s parting words to his 12 sons in Genesis 49, or the words we are about to read from the Apostle Paul to his son Timothy. Parting words are powerful words!

One person’s parting words are another person’s starting words.

So without any further comment, lets read from:

2 Timothy 4

1 ¶ And so I solemnly urge you before God and before Christ Jesus—who will someday judge the living and the dead when he appears to set up his Kingdom:

2 Preach the word of God. Be persistent, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.

3 For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to right teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever they want to hear.

4 They will reject the truth and follow strange myths.

5 But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at bringing others to Christ. Complete the ministry God has given you.

When Jesus spoke to His disciples at the end of Matthew 28, …

Key Scripture:

Matthew 28 NKJV

18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

20 "teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.

… He was speaking His parting instructions for each individual and every generation which would follow.

We, the Believers of today, begin our Christian walk with those clear instructions resounding in our spirits. These words are our words straight from the Messiah Himself.

His parting words – Our starting words.

It is the same with Paul’s inspired words to his son Timothy and to each Timothy in every generation to come, even until the end of this age.

Through Paul God instructed Timothy and along with him, every believer to start with seven simple goals in mind. Lets look at these:

Seven Spiritual Goals

1. Proclaim the Word of God

2. Be Persistent – Whether it is a favorable time or not.

3. Patiently Correct, Rebuke and Encourage People With Good Teaching

4. Keep A Clear Mind

5. Don’t Be Afraid of Suffering (Endure the costs)

6. Work At Bringing Others To Christ (Be Evangelistic)

7. Complete The Ministry (Mission) God Has Given You

I have heard it said that the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. I like that. It tells us to make sure we are paying attention to the things that pay off.

If we will just begin where we are and remember to speak the word of God, be persistent in our faith, be patient and help others along with good teaching and not criticism, condemnation or rejection, to keep a clear mind, endure hardships without quitting, be evangelistic and fulfill the mission God has designed us for … we will grow and become successful gaining favor with both God and man.