Sunday, November 2, 2003

Examining The Foundation Continued - The Father's Heart

Examining The Foundation Continued

The Father’s Heart

Gtcotr/ss110203

This morning our text will be taken from the NLT in Matthew 25

What you think about God does make a difference … a big difference!

Key Scripture: Hebrews 11:6 So, you see, it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that there is a God and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him. (NLT)

In Matthew 25 Jesus tells a story, one would think it was about three individuals who were servants, each given treasures by their master to manage.

But actually Jesus begins here by saying that the story is about the way the Kingdom of Heaven operates. Jesus uses the three servants to illustrate His message.

The first individual was given five bags of gold.

The second two bags of gold.

The third, one bag of gold.

Some time later when the master returned he called the three together and ask them to give an account of how they had managed his money.

The first had begun immediate investments and doubled his.

The second had also immediately invested and doubled his.

The third, being afraid and a bit lazy, dug a hole and buried his.

Upon hearing these three accounts the master praised the first two servants and amply rewarded them. Then he asked the fearful servant why he had hidden his opportunity and not attempted to increase it.

The person replies in Matthew 25, beginning at verse 24. (again I am reading from the NLT)

Matthew 25

24 "Then the servant with the one bag of gold came and said, ‘Sir, I know you are a hard man, harvesting crops you didn’t plant and gathering crops you didn’t cultivate.

25 I was afraid I would lose your money, so I hid it in the earth and here it is.’ (NLT)

The master‘s response:

Matthew 25

26 "But the master replied, ‘You wicked and lazy servant! You think I’m a hard man, do you, harvesting crops I didn’t plant and gathering crops I didn’t cultivate?

27 Well, you should at least have put my money into the bank so I could have some interest.

28 Take the money from this servant and give it to the one with the ten bags of gold. (NLT)

Many believe like this person, that God is hard, unjust and unable to be pleased.

This belief seems to stop a person from even trying.

What we believe about God really makes a difference.

Jesus explains the moral of the story:

It’s not the master who determines the reward, but the servant.

Right now I want you to take a moment and turn to a person or two beside you and tell them what you think I am attempting to communicate to the congregation this morning.

Matthew 25:29 To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who are unfaithful, even what little they have will be taken away. (NLT)

God is easy to please … believe that and you will please Him.

Key Scripture: Hebrews 11:6

What you have matters very little to anyone, but what you do with what you have, that matters.

Try to remember: God is not our servant, we are His.

If you need to refresh your view of God’s heart, read the story of the two sons in Luke 15.

Look for how the father treated the wayward son and how he felt about the son who had always tried to do right.

Today before we close, I want to read our Psalms for today:

Psalms 119:105-112 (NLT)

105 ¶ NUN Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path.

106 ¶ I’ve promised it once, and I’ll promise again: I will obey your wonderful laws.

107 ¶ I have suffered much, O LORD; restore my life again, just as you promised.

108 ¶ LORD, accept my grateful thanks and teach me your laws.

109 ¶ My life constantly hangs in the balance, but I will not stop obeying your law.

110 The wicked have set their traps for me along your path, but I will not turn from your commandments.

111 ¶ Your decrees are my treasure; they are truly my heart’s delight.

112 I am determined to keep your principles, even forever, to the very end.

Altar Time