Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Prayer 101 Continued - The Common Prayers Of A Spirit Filled Christian

Prayer 101 Continued

The Common Prayers Of A Spirit Filled Christian

Gtcotr/ws091003

Key Scripture: Luke 11:1 ¶ And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.

Last Wednesday Evening We Talked About

Our Approach To Prayer

* A Right Relationship

1 Peter 3:12 For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.

James 5:16b The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

* Submitted To His Will

1 John 5

14 ¶ And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

* Content With His Answer

James 4:15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.

Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

2 Corinthians 12

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Paul found a way to accept the will of God as right for his life even when it brought hardship and difficulty that he would have otherwise cast off.

God sees all

God hears all

God knows all

He has the best plan, the best idea, the best way, the perfect answer, even when it is no or wait. He alone is God!

Romans 9:20 What right does the thing that is made have to say to the maker, you cannot make me thus.

1 Timothy 6:6 Godliness with contentment is great gain.

II. We Have Covered

A. Recognition

B. Submission

C. And Petition

D. Now Intercession

III. Intercessory Prayer

A. Intercession

1. To Fall In With

2. Standing In The Gap

Ezekiel 22:30 And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.

B. Who Intercedes

1. Jesus Intercedes

Isaiah 53:12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Romans 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

2. The Holy Spirit Intercedes

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Romans 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

3. Abraham Interceded

Genesis 18 Intercession For Sodom

50 - 45 - 40 - 30 - 20 - 10 (six times?)

4. Jeremiah Instructed Israel Not To Intercede For Some

Jeremiah 7:16 Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them, neither make intercession to me: for I will not hear thee.

5. Christians Are Instructed Intercede

1 Timothy 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

Ezekiel 22:30 Stand in the gap and make up the hedge

* for all people

Note: God listens to righteous intercessors who ‘fall in with’ a people.

* Moses interceded for his followers

Exodus 32

31 And Moses returned unto the LORD, and said, Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold.

32 Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin—; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written.

33 And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.

34 Therefore now go, lead the people …

* Satan stands against and makes accusations before God:

> Job

> Jesus

Zechariah 3

1 ¶ And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.

2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?

> Saints

Revelation 12:10 “the accuser of our brethren … which accused them before our God day and night.”

IV. Conclusion

A. We Pray To God

B. We Pray For Not Necessarily Against

C. We Come Boldly But Reverently & Thankfully In Righteousness

D. We Recognize God, Submit To His Will, Petition Him & Intercede

E. We Have Confidence He Hears & Answers Our Prayers