Saturday, December 30, 2023

Happy New Year

Gtcotr/ss123123

 

Oh, don’t we hope we have a happy new year? It’s not a given you know. If we could only find a way to please God … I’m certain He would help us if people would just please Him.

 

Micah 6:7  Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, Ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, The fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

 

Today we come to the end of what has been a very difficult year for so many of us here, and for so many others all around the world. We can only hope and pray that the New Year we are about to enter will be better.

 

People tend to use this time to make a few New Year’s resolutions. The Bible even encourages us to examine ourselves and take an inventory of our lives so that we might change to be more like Jesus. By the way:

 

If the best we can hope for is to be like Jesus, then it stands to reason that the best we can hope for is to be treated like Him. 

 

2024 will be an election year in the United States. Every citizen over the age of 18, if registered to vote, will have the chance to weigh in on who will lead our nation into the future. The elections are already shaping up to be very divided … perhaps the most divided since the civil war. 

 

Europe, the Middle-East, and Asia are all embroiled in their own wars which may spill out into a World War if we cannot stop the escalation. Believe me, no matter how bad it is, people can make it worse.

 

But, nothing is set in stone. Just ask Nineveh … of course you may want to also take a look at Sodom and Gomorrah as well. But even Sodom had a chance. If the messengers of God could have found only 10 righteous people in the city, God would have spared it.

 

My goal today is to give you an opportunity to make a commitment to God and to yourselves. We have a chance to get it right.

 

We still have a chance to leave things better than we found them.

 

God has given us another chance to participate in the ongoing impact of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Do you want to know what you can do to please God? Micah didn’t stop his search until he found out what God wanted. 

 

Micah 6:8  He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?

 

I have decided to do my part to please God in the coming year. Each one of us is able to adopt new routines and develop new habits. Would you consider making some Godly commitments along with me which I know will help you and please God? I decided to put my commitments in writing.

 

Be it resolved by the grace of God in 2024, I commit myself to:

• Daily Prayer
I will talk to God every day in 2024.
I will pray for myself and for others each day.
• Bible Reading
I will read from the Word of God each morning.
I will keep God’s Word in my heart all day.   

  (Bible Project/The Bible – You Version Bible App Plan)

• Church
I will attend Church each week when I am able.
I will find and fulfill my place of service in the Church.
• Stewardship
I will honor the Lord with my substance and my increase.
I will give from my income and my storehouse as God directs.
• Witness
I will remember that I am a light that shines in darkness.
I will stay ready to joyfully share my faith in Jesus with others.
• Life
I will love my family; encourage my friends; forgive my enemies; and be kind to strangers.
I will do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with my Lord.