Saturday, August 15, 2020

Who?

 Gtcotr/ss081620

I had a dream Friday night. My father-in-law, Lewis Boston, who is already gone to his heavenly reward, brought an old friend to my Church wanting him to join. When I acted surprised, Lewis, looking a lot younger than I’d last seen him and real happy responded with that little laugh and smile he would have when he was excited about telling me something. He said, “Who is going to teach him how to live his life now that he’s born-again?”

When I woke up, I was unable to get away from his words and that excited smile on his face. The question of who was going to teach people how to live their lives once they receive Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior kept going over and over in my mind. I felt like the dream was from God. The importance of the Church and the teaching priests became increasingly evident. God needs the Church to teach His children how to live their lives with a Biblical world.

This dream is the 3rd confirmation of a spiritual encounter I had with God on July 4th, 1982. I had set aside some time to pray and fast and had secluded myself in a trailer house owned by my parents in Simms, Texas. I had moved a keyboard there the day before and I as worshipping the Lord and singing a song, “Within the veil, I now come …”. While caught up in worship I felt such a strong presence of the Lord and I was a little afraid to open my eyes. I know that sounds strange but that’s what I felt.

When I did open my eyes and looked to my left, towards the kitchen, I could see what appeared to me to be a haze and it was moving and rolling, not like smoke but more like light fog or haze – a misty appearance. I stood and continued singing and slowly walked towards the kitchen. When I got to the doorway, I felt the haze on my skin, it was cool and almost wet without being wet. I don’t know how else to describe it, but it was thick without being heavy. It was evident I had stepped into something spiritual and I dropped to my knees and on down on my face and began to weep.

I have no idea how long I was there but at some point, I heard myself crying out to God saying the same words over and over. It was a deep heart-felt guttural cry. I kept saying “God bless your people, bless your people God …”

It was strange. It was like I was listening to myself as though I was listening to someone else. I could hear my spirit crying out to God and at the same time I was thinking, “I’m glad that is what I’m asking for instead of something else.” Then, all of the sudden I heard a loud thundering voice that interrupted both what I as praying and what I was thinking. If anyone else had been there I don’t imagine they would have heard anything, but it was thundering to me and the words shook me and penetrated my soul.

God said, “I have blessed My people, now go and teach them how to walk in My blessings.”

With that the cloud withdrew and I lifted myself up onto my knees and saw that the floor in front of me was wet with my tears and crying. That day is a marked day for me in that I received from the voice of the Lord my calling to be a teacher of the Word, the Will, and the Way of God.

So, Friday night’s dream confirmed God’s desire once again to see His children taught how they can life a life pleasing to Him. Of course we know this is nothing more or less than the call that is upon each one of us as followers of Christ. The only marching orders Jesus ever gave the Church was to go into all the world and preach the Gospel, teaching converts to live as He lived. Let’s read that Great Commission Jesus gave His followers.

Matthew 28

16 ¶  Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them.

17  When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.

18  And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

19  “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

20  “teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

Back to verse 17 – And when the eleven disciples saw Jesus, they worshipped Him: but some doubted. 

Which ones doubted? What did they doubt? Why did they doubt?

The Greek word translated into the English word “doubt” used by Matthew to describe how some of the disciples felt in that moment is the Greek word “distazo” = to think twice; to have second thoughts.

I can certainly understand how these followers of Jesus would have second thoughts. They had been with Jesus for years and had seen Him heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils, feed the multitudes, and preach the living Word of Almighty God … how could they ever measure up and carry on His work? 

Perhaps you also have second thoughts. Maybe you worship Jesus but doubt if you can actually make a difference … I know I have. I have asked myself on several occasions if I am making a difference … I often feel I’m inadequate for the task at hand. But then I read the rest of the Great Commission. Jesus continued by saying …

“I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Jesus chose His followers they did not choose Him. (John 15:16)

·        Jesus has chosen you.

·        Jesus Believes in you.

·        Jesus needs you.

·        Jesus will be with you and you will bear fruit.

·        Worship Jesus and don’t think twice about your value to Him.

·        You have been authorized and empowered to make disciples of Christ

·        You are the best He has … just like the eleven … you can do it!

 Let’s not get distracted or begin to have second thoughts. We cannot afford to get sidetracked, detoured, derailed, or disillusioned by the devil and all the problems that surround us and our times. The things going on in our nation with the rioting, looting, shootings, COVID19, political divisions, international conflicts, and the upcoming presidential elections, are but signs that we are living in the last days.

1900 years ago the Elder Apostle John said it was already the last hour of this age. Certainly, we are now in the last minute if not the very last few seconds before the close of the age. End-time prophecies are beginning to unfold in real time.

The plan of God has not changed nor has the Great Commission gone out of date. Here is what Jesus wants you to do.

1.  Worship Him.

2.  As you go, wherever you go, make disciples.

a.   How?

b.   What does “make disciples” mean?

                                         i.    Make new friends

                                        ii.    Introduce them to Jesus

                                      iii.    Teach your friends how to live for Christ

1.   Old friends

2.   New friends

3.   Siblings

4.   Children

3.  Work ‘til Jesus comes.

a.   It shouldn’t be long now …

b.   So let’s get started today.

       

Don’t worry … Jesus is will be with you every step of the way!