Saturday, December 7, 2019

Blessed


Gtcotr/ss120819

Thanks for all of the Happy Birthday wishes. Today I am 65 years old. In all my days I never imagined how young 65 was and how good it feels to be this age. If I would have known just how good it was going to be, I would have avoided worrying about it.

I have a place-marker memory of myself at about the age of 10 or so, in the hot summer, cut-off jeans, no shirt, barefooted and up to my ankles in the hot dirt of a freshly plowed Irish potato patch beside that little 900 square foot farm house where I was raised. It was potato digging time and I was running my fingers through the dirt like a pitchfork, finding the hidden potatoes to put into piles alongside the middle-busted rows.

It was hot and I was dirty, we had no running water but there was a well at the end of the garden. I remember seeing a scissor-tail bird fly over and I jumped up and threw a small potato at it. 55 years later, I still see that little boy in my mind, and I am amazed at all God had planned for him. God’s plans were sure, as sure and as certain as that very moment in time … I just couldn’t see it from there.

Yet, in my heart there was a yearning, not even a dream, but an invisible excitement for life. There was some spark of adventure that made me want to get up each day and run out of the house to find what the day was going to bring. God knew my destiny, I sure didn’t, and perhaps I still don’t … but at 65, I want to tell you that I can still feel that excitement and I can’t wait to see what the Lord will yet do in and through and for and with my life.

This morning I want to thank my mom and my dad for the gift of life. There is no greater gift. I am, because of them. Who I am and what I am is a work in progress, but the fact that I am was a gift from my parents. For that and the opportunity it gave me to know Jesus, I am truly thankful.

One of the constant hungers of my life has been a hunger to learn. However, I wasn’t born with the study gene and I’m not a natural reader. Consequently, I’ve always done much better in situations where I can sit and listen. Lectures, sermons, movies, books on tape and even people reading to me have always been my go-to for education. When nothing else is readily available I’ve learned to get into a quiet place and read out loud to myself. There is bound to be some documented learning disability I could be diagnosed with that I am unaware because I haven’t heard anyone say it yet. Lol.

This brings me to my childhood Church experience. Occasionally, as a pre-teen, I attended the First Baptist Church in Simms, Texas. There were probably 40 to 50 in attendance on a good Sunday. I went to meet up with two friends so I would have someone to play with after Church. We sat in a Sunday School class, just us three boys, listening to Mr. Lenoy Johnson read from the quarterly. He was missing a thumb and it was interesting to watch how he held that little book.

After Sunday School it was time for Church. Us boys would sit on the back row and be boys. Sometimes one of the older ladies would come and sit with us so she could shush us as needed. But there were two parts of the service I looked forward and paid attention to: The singing and the story telling. I liked it when we had a preacher who told stories from the Bible. Looking back I realize just how much truth I learned as a young boy from those stories. A good story seems to set me to thinking.

One of the first sermons I recall hearing that stuck with me was about The Sermon on the Mount. The preacher painted such a picture of Jesus on a hillside. It is still one of my favorites. I tried to remember just how many times the preacher said “Blessed”. You know the part in Matthew 5 where Jesus said: “Blessed are the poor; the meek; the hungry; the pure in heart; the peacemakers.” Well, I kind of got stuck right there and didn’t hear much else he said that day. I wanted to know the number of “Blessed’s”. I tried to remember but couldn’t and finally found a Bible and counted them … there are 9 … Jesus said “Blessed” 9 times in that one sermon.

Through the years, when I think about being blessed or think about wanting to be blessed, my mind goes back to that place and I remember Jesus gave me 9 ways to get some of those blessings.

Those of you who have traveled with me to Israel know that we always stop and take whatever time needed to go up on the Mount of Beatitudes and read the whole Sermon on the Mount from Matthew 5, 6 and 7. It is one of the most powerful, picturesque and productive things we experience together in the Galilee. As well, I’ve led groups of Baptist Pastors from our local communities and other members of the Clergy from around the nation on their introductory pilgrimages to the Holy Land. Each time we stop and take turns reading this powerful sermon out loud together. It is always a moving time for everyone, especially for me. It takes me back to when I was a boy. The picture that preacher painted in my mind looks much the same in person. Perhaps that’s one thing that made me love to tell stories … just like the one I just shared. Life has been mighty good to me.

And, I thank my parents for giving me life. Life gave me the chance to know Jesus and Jesus gave me the chance to really live. In light of the blessings I have enjoyed during these past 65 years, allow me to share three things from that Sermon on the Mount that helped to shape my life. I know these three things can help shape your life as well.

1.   Matthew 5:7  Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy.
·        I don’t know anyone who is perfect. Early on I imagined showing mercy was one of the easiest things to do to be blessed by Jesus.
·        It has not always been easy, but it has paid off.
·        Start growing a crop of mercy today. You’ll need it.
2.   Matthew 6
a.   33  “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
b.   34  “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
·        Why worry? Worry adds nothing to your life but stressful moments and sleepless nights.
·        Be prepared but you won’t worry about the outcome.
·        Don’t borrow trouble from tomorrow.
·        Keep seeking what’s best for the Kingdom and stay right with God.
·        If God is worried about it … You don’t need to worry.
·        If God is not worried … You don’t have to worry.
3.   Matthew 7:7  “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
·        Don’t forget to ask – Ask God.
·        Do your part and seek – Seek God.
·        Don’t’ be afraid to knock – Knock on Heaven’s Door.