Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Home Improvement Series – Part 5 Building Better Leaders


Gtcotr/ws050918

For the purposes of our lesson tonight allow me to define the word leadership.

I believe it was John Maxwell who said, “Leadership is influence.” Leadership is measured by the influence one has on others. Influence not impact. People may have positive or negative impact on you without influencing the way you think or act. Just because Hitler had an impact on the whole world did not mean he was their leader.

However, When one person goes out of their way to follow another person, that’s influence and that’s leadership. Leaders influence their followers to think, feel, talk and to act a certain way. 
·        There are legitimate leaders and illegitimate leaders.
·        There are recognized leaders and unrecognized leaders.

A policeman may turn on his lights and get out of his car and ask you to run a red light. However, the person sitting beside you in the next car who impatiently runs a red light should not become your leader.

It is always a good idea to ask yourself, “Who am I following?” If you find yourself under the influence of an illegitimate leader, you may be following the wrong person. As well, it’s a good idea to look around you to see who is following you. If you are influencing people to go against their parent’s counsel or to be discontent with their marriage or go against their boss’s decisions or the laws of our land, you may be doing more harm with your unbridled opinions than you had realized.

Leadership should be more than a mere popularity contest. Life is not a competition. Influencing others is a tremendous responsibility. Legitimate leadership positions have been clearly identified by the Word of God and the people who occupy these positions deserve our attention, our respect and, except in rare cases, they also deserve our support.

Not everyone who influences us has our best interests at heart.

This is what happened to one third of the heavenly host of angels when Lucifer influenced them, and they began to follow him instead of God. Lucifer saw his tactics worked on angels, so he tried it on man. Eve listened to Lucifer’s assertions and was influenced by his suggestions. She began to see things differently, she felt discontent and a dissatisfaction arose within her mind that caused her to change her primary loyalties and then she acted. Eve was deceived by the voice of an illegitimate leader and was influenced to sin. We don’t want to be that kind of influencer.

When someone is influenced by a friend to discount the voice or to disregard the counsel of their God-ordained leaders, even when that friend is just trying to be kind and supportive, it can lead to destruction. You don’t have to be the devil to be divisive. Exerting influence in opposition to the voice of the legitimate leader is not a good idea.

Some of the most difficult times in God’s life, in the life of a teacher, a parent a boss or anyone else, is when those who should be following think they should be leading. Don’t be easily influenced by those who have little or no investment in your future or those who have no investment in your past. And, don’t assume the leadership when you aren’t committed to stay and willing to pay. Opinions are free … but … leadership costs.

We can easily see that not every leader is a good leader. As well, people choose their own leaders. The words “boss” or “parent” or “General” does not always denote leader. A leader is only your leader when you follow them. Someone can occupy a position without commanding a following. They may impact your life, but they don’t influence the way you feel, think, speak or act. As well, you can only lead those who are willing to follow.

Every person has the opportunity and the ability to influence others. In fact, We are all called by God to lead others to Christ. Some of you will be parents, bosses, teachers, supervisors or judges and be given recognized positions of authority from which you will be expected to lead. However, every one of us have the God-given ability and a daily opportunity to influence others to think, feel or do something we believe is best. Because of this truth, Every one of you are leaders. Remember, leadership is influence.  

We cannot imagine that only the people at the top are leaders. Often the most critical leaders are in the middle of the pack. It’s not the generals who fight the battle and win the wars, it’s the soldiers who are under the leadership of field commanders and battle-hardened sergeants. The success of our nation is not about what happens in the White House or the capital house, it all depends on what happens in your house. The success of every organization hinges on its ability to attract and reproduce secondary leadership. Leadership is the key to success … Even if your name is Jesus.

When we look at leaders in the Bible we can easily see that Moses was one of the most well-known. Moses was used by God to lead the people out of Egypt and deliver them from Pharaoh. Although he was the most educated, experienced and certainly the most qualified man in the world for the job he was given, he nonetheless doubted his leadership abilities. Let’s look in the Bible at God’s conversation with Moses at the burning bush in:

Exodus 3  NLT
9  Look! The cry of the people of Israel has reached me, and I have seen how harshly the Egyptians abuse them.
10  Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt.”
11 ¶  But Moses protested to God, “Who am I to appear before Pharaoh? Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?”
12  God answered, “I will be with you. And this is your sign that I am the one who has sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God at this very mountain.”
13  But Moses protested, “If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ they will ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what should I tell them?”
14  God replied to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. Say this to the people of Israel: I AM has sent me to you.”

Exodus 4
1 ¶  But Moses protested again, “What if they won’t believe me or listen to me? What if they say, ‘The LORD never appeared to you’?”

5  “Perform this sign,” the LORD told him. “Then they will believe that the LORD, the God of their ancestors — the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob — really has appeared to you.”

10 ¶  But Moses pleaded with the LORD, “O Lord, I’m not very good with words. I never have been, and I’m not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled.”
11  Then the LORD asked Moses, “Who makes a person’s mouth? Who decides whether people speak or do not speak, hear or do not hear, see or do not see? Is it not I, the LORD?
12  Now go! I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say.”
13  But Moses again pleaded, “Lord, please! Send anyone else.”
14  Then the LORD became angry with Moses. “All right,” he said. “What about your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he speaks well. And look! He is on his way to meet you now. He will be delighted to see you.
15  Talk to him, and put the words in his mouth. I will be with both of you as you speak, and I will instruct you both in what to do.

31  Then the people of Israel were convinced that the LORD had sent Moses and Aaron. When they heard that the LORD was concerned about them and had seen their misery, they bowed down and worshiped.

Exodus 5
20  As they left Pharaoh’s court, they confronted Moses and Aaron, who were waiting outside for them.
21  The foremen said to them, “May the LORD judge and punish you for making us stink before Pharaoh and his officials. You have put a sword into their hands, an excuse to kill us!”
22  Then Moses went back to the LORD and protested, “Why have you brought all this trouble on your own people, Lord? Why did you send me?
23  Ever since I came to Pharaoh as your spokesman, he has been even more brutal to your people. And you have done nothing to rescue them!”

Exodus 6
5  You can be sure that I have heard the groans of the people of Israel, who are now slaves to the Egyptians. And I am well aware of my covenant with them.
6  “Therefore, say to the people of Israel: ‘I am the LORD. I will free you from your oppression and will rescue you from your slavery in Egypt. I will redeem you with a powerful arm and great acts of judgment.
7  I will claim you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God who has freed you from your oppression in Egypt.
8  I will bring you into the land I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. I will give it to you as your very own possession. I am the LORD!’ ”
9  So Moses told the people of Israel what the LORD had said, but they refused to listen anymore. They had become too discouraged by the brutality of their slavery.

Those people who had influence among the children of Israel were their true leaders, not Moses. Moses spent the rest of his life, the next 40 years, trying to get those influencers to follow him so the people could get what God promised. But, they never did. Fortunately we can all see the end of the story and because everything turned out well we can’t imagine why the people refused to trust God’s leadership and support Moses all along the way. We know it ended well however they were in the middle of the situation … they could not see the end.

And that’s the same way it is today with so many of us. Whether we are leaders or followers we can’t see the end of our lives and some situations make us afraid. We hear the voices of doubt and other people who tell us not to trust our parents or our legitimate God-given leaders. We want to take matters in our own hands and just like Eve, do what we feel is best for us. That can be a recipe for disaster.

Great leaders look beyond:
·        Self
·        The Situation
·        Criticism
·        Unknown
… and they put their trust in God and in the people He has empowered to lead in this moment.

Leaders aren’t always popular, and they aren’t even always right. When I was about 15 years old my dad told me, “Son, I may not always be right, but I am always your dad, now do what I say.” He expected, and he deserved my support and in turn, it was my duty to insure the other workers saw me supporting my dad, after all, he was the boss and he was the one who was paying me. It was my responsibility to make it easier, not harder for him.

It is always easy to influence, especially when you aren’t the one paying for it. But it is not always easy to lead.

Be the leader God made you and begin influencing others to do what’s right and not what’s popular, what’s easy or what they think is best for them in the moment. Remember: Principles before Problems.

Use your influence and teach your children to use their influence for God.