Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Fruits of the Spirit Series – Part 1 Agape Love

Fruits of the Spirit
        Series – Part 1
                Agape Love
Gtcotr/ws092017

L’Shanah Tovah! Tonight at sundown marked Rosh Hashanah 5778.

Jesus is the Master of parallel truths. He often used some common well-known truth in nature to teach us greater spiritual truths. Humans have a limited view of life and universal law. We might imagine Jesus borrowed from nature to teach however in reality, nature borrowed from and leans solely upon spiritual laws and spiritual truths to operate. Nature only exists as long as it stays within the guidelines of unchanging, overriding pre-existent spiritual laws which govern the universe.

God pre-existed nature. Natural truth does not govern spiritual truth – Natural truth follows spiritual truth. So, when Jesus used common things of nature, whether the barley harvest, olive oil, new wine in old wine skins or catching fish, Jesus was revealing the dominant spiritual parent of the younger and lesser truth we humans observe in nature. God did not observe nature and then decide to follow suit by making a wise spiritual principle of it. Rather, God’s truth existed and nature followed. Nonetheless Jesus often used common humanly observable principles of nature to reveal the greater dominant transcendent truths of the Universe – God’s truth! Such is the case in John 15 concerning the production of fruit and the process it must follow.

John 15
5  “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
7  “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
8  “By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
11  “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.
12  “This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

16  “You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.
17  “These things I command you, that you love one another.

Note Jesus continually connects fruit to both love and joy. Only when we abide in the Vine can we produce the lasting fruits of the Spirit.

Galatians 5
22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23  gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

1 Corinthians 13  NLT
1 ¶  If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
2  If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing.
3  If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.
4 ¶  Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud
5  or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.
6  It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
7  Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
8  Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever!

1 Peter 4:8  And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.” (Proverbs 10:12)

Commentary on Agape Love as a fruit of the Spirit.


Next week we will continue with our study of the Fruits of the Spirit, specifically “Joy”!