Saturday, June 10, 2017

Things My Father Told Me


Gtcotr/ss061117a

Our theme for this month at COTR is “Family”. The family structure begins with a father. Every son and daughter wants and needs the approval of their father. In fact, we were all born with an innate desire to make our daddy proud of us. I think one of the most debilitating absences in life is the absence of a father.

Perhaps you were never sure what you could do to please your father or maybe you felt he was too hard and unable to be pleased. I know what that’s like. I too have battled those feelings after realizing I had disappointed my dad. However, the older I get the more I realize what makes a father happy and proud of his kids. I have no excuses, it’s not like he didn’t tell me over and over. He wasn’t fussing so much as hoping. He could see a little farther than me and he was hoping I would make something of myself. At any rate, I want to take a few moments before we get to the Word today and tell you some Things My Father Told Me.

These aren’t in any order of importance but just a list I’ve put together. (And, the few things on this list today are not near all the things he told me… I’ll give you 5 from my list.) He said son,
1.   Be kind to others …
2.   Don’t let anger control the things you say and do …
3.   Don’t talk bad about other people …
4.   Don’t be the guy who tells dirty jokes …
5.   Don’t make excuses when you have done something wrong …

Let me give you two more from this list quickly before we get to our text for today. And by the way, this is not my only list … my father knew I needed a lot and he gave me a lot.

6.   Fill your life up each day with love and forgiveness …
7.   Don’t just do what I say but watch me and do what I do.

I tell you what, why don’t we turn to the book of Ephesians chapter 4 and we’ll just read a few more from my list together.
  
Ephesians 4
31  Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior.
32  Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.

Ephesians 5
1 ¶  Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children.
2  Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.
3 ¶  Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God’s people.
4  Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes — these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God.
5  You can be sure that no immoral, impure, or greedy person will inherit the Kingdom of Christ and of God. For a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.
6  Don’t be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins, for the anger of God will fall on all who disobey him.
7  Don’t participate in the things these people do.
8  For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light!
9  For this light within you produces only what is good and right and true.
10  Carefully determine what pleases the Lord.

I’m so glad we have such a loving and caring Father and that He has not left us without knowledge of some things we can do to please Him.

You might say, “Preacher, I don’t know God as my Father.” My reply … “You can!” (Share the plan of salvation and rededication … Pray)


As we go through the summer, remember family is the most important thing God ever gave man. Family here on earth and especially family throughout eternity. The only thing God ever wanted to be was a Father. Absentee fathers are the antithesis of God’s heart and desire for families on the earth. What can you do to help God make and maintain those critical connections this summer? You can do it … just start pleasing your Father today!