Ephesians 6 KJV
10 ¶ Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
The Apostle Paul depicts the life of a Believer as a life at war with the spiritual forces of darkness. Even though inspired by the Holy Spirit to pen and send these words of instruction and encouragement to the Church and Believers living in Ephesus, Paul knew whereof he spoke.
Each day from his prison in Rome Paul was reminded of the battle that was being waged against God on earth by heavenly creatures fighting to capture and destroy the souls of men. This elder Apostle of Faith to the Gentiles had a clear picture of the war and understood the need for every Believer to be prepared, focused and engaged in the daily duties of a soldier of the cross. This passage teaches us that the Holy Spirit does not leave us defenseless against our enemies.
1. The Belt of Truth
· There is no substitute for the truth.
· The Truth, the whole Truth and nothing but the Truth!
2. The Breastplate of Righteousness
· Living a cleaned up, right life before God covers 90% of life.
3. Sandals and Greaves
· Be prepared – pay attention – give attendance …
· Beware your temperament does not belie your mission.
· Do not be easily offended by stepping on or walking through the pricks of the enemy.
· We can ill afford to become at odds with the ones we are sent to save
· Expect and be prepared for some irritants to try and hinder your progress in the Gospel.
· Peace is both the motivation and the destination of Godly soldiers.
4. The Shield of Faith
· Faith is best used as a shield, not a pair of tweezers.
· Faith makes things possible it does not necessarily make things easy.
· Hebrews 11:1&6 Faith is … Without faith …
5. The Helmet of Salvation
· Guarding the consciousness of victory …
· Psalms 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
· Psalms 27:2 When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.
· Psalms 27:3 Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.
· Our confidence of victory is our greatest advantage.
· Romans 8:31 If God be for me who can be against me!
· 1 John 4:4 Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world!
· 1 John 5:5 Who is he who overcomes the world but he who believes …
· 1 John 5:4 This is the victory that overcomes the world … faith!
6. God’s Spiritual Sword – His Word!
· The two edges of God’s Sword are represented in the Old Testament and the New Testament – the Law and the Gospel
· Psalms 149:6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, And a two-edged sword in their hand,
· Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
· Revelation 1:16 He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength.
7. Praying in the Spirit
· Spiritual Prayers as opposed to carnal prayers, no prayers, praying only in distress or only for oneself.
· Prayers which watch and persevere
· Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
· Romans 8:27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
· Jude 1:20 But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit.
We have both the opportunity and the potential to look like God!
I challenge each one of us to insure we receive the admonition of the Holy Spirit through the Apostle Paul and arise each day to put on the Whole Armour of God before we go out to meet the enemies of that day who but want to confuse and confine our souls and the souls of all mankind. For this I am confident that the Lord will remind you if you will but ask!
You can ask Him now to start reminding you first thing in the morning!