Quotes for Mother’s Day
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Parents often talk about the younger generation as if they didn't have anything to do with it. ~ (Haim Ginott)
There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it. ~Chinese Proverb
A mother understands what a child does not say.
One ounce of mother is worth a ton of priests. ~ (Spanish Proverb)
God could not be everywhere so He made mothers. (Jewish Proverb quoted by Rudyard Kipling)
“My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.” ~ George Washington
“All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother” ~ Abraham Lincoln
No one makes it to life without a mother. (rlh)
The one who brought you to life is equipped to help you through life. (rlh)
Every daughter’s father is but some mother’s son. (rlh)
Each time a child comes into this world, a mother is born. (rlh)
The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world. (William Wallace)
Key Scripture: Psalms 113:9 He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD. (KJV)
I. Judges 5:6 In the days of Shamgar the son of Anath, in the days of Jael, the highways were unoccupied, and the travellers walked through byways.
A. In the days of Shamgar & Jael
1. Shamgar killed 600 Philistines with an ox goad ...
> Judges 3:31 And after him was Shamgar the son of Anath, which slew of the Philistines six hundred men with an ox goad: and he also delivered Israel.
2. Jael, she went softly and drove a tent peg into Sisera’s head
> Judges 4:21 Then Jael Heber’s wife took a nail of the tent, and took an hammer in her hand, and went softly unto him, and smote the nail into his temples, and fastened it into the ground: for he was fast asleep and weary. So he died.
Note: (Even though in those days there were mighty men and women of God … Judges 5:6 tells us that:)
B. The right ways were abandoned (good paths --- highways)
C. People walked a hard, dark and dangerous path (byways)
II. Judges 5:7 Village life ceased …
A. Village Life Ceased?
1. No community
2. No family, friends or social life
3. Everyone afraid of everyone else
4. No common bond with others
B. Judges 5:7 Village life ceased, it ceased in Israel, Until I, Deborah, arose, Arose a mother in Israel.
Until … when it gets bad enough for mama to get up, something is going to change.
Conversely, when mothers do not arise, things often deteriorate.
Proverbs 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself will his mother to shame.
We can’t just let things go … mothering is a job that has to be done on purpose and with purpose!
What Happens When A Mother’s Job Goes Undone?
III. Judges 5:8 They chose new gods; Then there was war in the gates; Not a shield or spear was seen among forty thousand in Israel.
A. On top of what we have already read:
1. v.6: People abandon the right way for the wrong way
2. v.7: Family, community will become dysfunctional
B. When there are no mothers making their voice & demands heard:
3. v.8: People will choose new gods
4. v.8: Fussing, fighting and all out war comes into the house
5. v.8: People grow defenseless without a Mother’s protection, or perhaps without a mother to protect.
IV. Mothers We Need You … Arise … Take Your Place
Note: When God needs a job done, a child is born … however, God entrust these children to Mothers!
Remember, Mary gave her Firstborn & Moses’ Mother gave her son, but they raised them first!
Every man and woman is nothing more than some mother’s child.
Mothers, we need you to rise up and:
A. Teach us the straight ways of life
1. not to lie, cheat, steal, lose our tempers, be dishonest
2. to respect our elders and honor our parents
3. to keep our commitments and pay our just and honest debts
4. to make our beds, cook our meals, clean our kitchens and go to work.
B. Build our family and give us community relationships
1. you have the grace for intimacy - for kononia - relationship
2. you have the pattern for family imprinted in your lives
3. if you don’t show us family, who will?
C. Introduce us to the Living God
1. Don’t leave us to our own imaginations
2. Don’t leave us to fashion our own gods
D. Keep our homes free of fussing, fighting & all out war
1. make us a peaceful people
2. teach us to value others
E. Arm us against our enemies
1. Teach us to both defend ourselves and conquer our enemies
2. Defense & Offense with: (Ephesians 6:16-18)
* The Shield of Faith
* The Sword of the Spirit
* The Arm of Prayer
Lets Pray For Mothers & Women To Be Mothers
Mothers who rise to the day
Happy Mother’s Day!