Psalms 37:25 I have been young, and now am old; Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread.
Like King David of old, we have all been witnesses to God working in the lives of those who follow Him. Although everyone suffers hardships of sorts in this world, the Believer can nonetheless be of good cheer knowing that Jesus is Messiah and that He has overcome this world. We have hope because we are headed to a victory that is beyond this world.
I cannot imagine anything worse than leaving this world without the saving grace of Jesus. Next to that the worst thing would be living in this world without the help and hope that comes from an abiding relationship with Him. Like Paul said, “For me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” (Philippians 1:21) I would not want to live or to die without Him.
The relationship we have with the only begotten Son of Almighty God is gained by faith. And, even though it cannot be proven to the scientific community’s satisfaction or put under a microscope and studied by the skeptic minds of the ages, faith is nonetheless more real and lasting than any matter in this universe. What we cannot see is greater than what we can see and what we do not know more than what we do …
We actually know very little when it comes to the whole scheme of eternal truth. But the little we know is so powerful that it fills eternity with hope. We know:
· There is only one God and He is the Creator and Sovereign Ruler over all things, seen and unseen.
· God created mankind beginning with Adam and Eve and gave them dominion over all the works of His hands.
· Satan deceived Eve and tempted her to question the truth of God’s Word. She became confused and decided to do her own thing.
· When Eve and Adam disobeyed God, sin was born and man was separated from one another, from God, from the blessings of God on the earth and from everlasting life with God throughout eternity.
· God so loved the world that He gave His Only Son to make a way for man to be saved.
· All who believe in and call upon Jesus are born again, forgiven, saved and accepted as a child of God throughout eternity.
· Eternal life is the absolute most important gift of God.
· Born again Believers are not perfect, nor are they exempted from the tribulations of this life however but, they are forgiven and blessed.
If we labeled Born Again Believers as “Good”, and called lost sinners “Bad”, then I can tell you from experience: (Psalms 37:25 repeat)
· Some good people do bad things and some bad people do good things.
· Some good things happen to bad people and some bad things happen to good people
· Truth can never be understood if we only look at the good and bad.
Throughout the scriptures every Patriarch, each Prophet, all the Kings, including David and Solomon, each one of the disciples, and even Jesus Himself had some good things and some bad things happen to them, to their families and to their friends.
People often wonder saying, “I’m a Christian, why is this happening to me?” Or here is a good one: “I thought they were supposed to be a Christian!” Or the worst one yet: “You’re not a Christian!”
Through the years I too have questioned some people and some circumstances that just didn’t line up with what I knew to be God’s Word or God’s Will. I have even questioned to myself wondering why bad things happen to good people … however, in my many years I’ve come to realize:
· Questions won’t change things … answers will.
Instead of questioning why something is happening to us perhaps we should rather decide what we are going to do about it.
One answer is better than 10,000 questions. And, thank God … we have the answer! His name is Jesus – The Living Word of God.
The best path to take in any situation is to simply “Follow Jesus”. No guarantees following Jesus will be all roses, but following Jesus will always bring us victory in the situation and ultimately bring us victory over the situation. There is nothing more important than following Jesus.
Every problem begins to straighten out when we get in line with Christ.
My wife, Brenda, is 60 years old today. She was saved and began to follow Christ 37 years ago this month and 33 years ago this month she was gloriously filled with the Holy Spirit. When she began to follow Jesus, it straightened everything out for her, just as it has for so many others:
Matthew 4:19 Then He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." (God has a perfect ,productive plan for every life)
Matthew 9:9 As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man named
Matthew sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, "Follow Me." So he arose and followed Him. (Following Jesus may require a change.)
Matthew 19:21 Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." (No one can serve two masters … Luke 16:13)
Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
We will find Him and we can follow Him in His Holy Word
Today I am going to ask you to make the life changing decision to follow Jesus. If you do you will experience:
· The excitement that comes with salvation
o Old things pass away and all things become new! (2 Corinthians 5:21)
· The life change which comes with true conversion
o Only Jesus can satisfy your soul.
o Good or Bad - He will transform you from the inside out.
No matter the question, don’t be confused – Jesus is the right answer.