Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father’s Day

Gtcotr/ss062010

In February of 1998 both of our children got married and left home to begin a new adventure and build their own families. The next few days found me and Brenda alone in our home for the first time in a couple of decades. Even though we had been wise and prepared ourselves for the empty nest syndrome by building our personal relationship with one another, and even though we thoroughly enjoyed each other’s company, nonetheless, it was a challenge not to feel lonely.

After a day or two Brenda found me standing in my closet, staring at the floor looking sad and in serious thought. She asked me what was wrong. The answer leaped out from deep within and before I could think I heard myself say with a bewildered sense of revelation, “All I ever wanted to be was a father … what am I going to do with the rest of my life?”

Through the next few weeks I pressed myself into the study of God’s Word which I knew would be the answer to my dilemma and this is what my study revealed:

• When God could have cast Himself in any image whatsoever, He chose that of a Father.

He could have appeared as the sun, the moon, fire, wind, a bull or whatever He wished. There would have been no wrong way for Him to portray Himself. However, He chose to be a Father.

• All God ever wanted to be was a Father.

I understood where my desire came from and counted myself in good company. I only wanted what God wanted and I didn’t see that as wrong.

• When it is all said and done, the only thing God will have left is family.

I realized that family matters … and … thank God, I still had family. It wasn’t the situation that needed to change, it was me and my perspective.
I had only been affected by something that had also affected God. You know, some things in life should affect us – some things should change our life – some things should challenge our perspective – some things should hurt … if they did not, we would be neither human nor Godly.

But, it’s what we do about those things which affect us that make us either more or less like God.

Seeing today is Father’s Day in the United States, I want to use a passage from the Bible, specifically a passage from the book of Luke, chapter 15, beginning in verse 11, to discuss some Godly attributes of a father. This story speaks to much more than just fatherhood but allow me to focus this morning’s message to the benefit of fathers.

Luke 15 NKJV
11 Then Jesus said, “A certain man had two sons.
12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the portion of goods that falls to me.’ So he divided to them his livelihood.
13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, journeyed to a far country, and there wasted his possessions with prodigal (riotous) living.
14 But when he had spent all, there arose a severe famine in that land, and he began to be in want.
15 Then he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.
16 And he would gladly have filled his stomach with the pods that the swine ate, and no one gave him anything.
17 But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18 I will arise and go to my father and will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you,
19 and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants.” ’
20 And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him.
21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.’
22 But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet.
23 And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry:
24 for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ And they began to be merry.”

Five attributes of a Godly Father

1. Respect for evolving family relationships
a. V 12
b. As our children and our family grow, we must adjust ourselves to meet the evolving criteria of that growing relationship.
c. Different seasons demand different perspectives.

Galatians 4
1 Now I say that the heir, as long as he is a child, does not differ at all from a slave though he is master of all,
2 but is under guardians and stewards until the time appointed by the father.


d. Children are not meant to remain children forever.

2. An established reputation for being kind and generous to others
a. V 17
b. Not only to the family but to servants, employees and strangers as well. This son knew his father to be a just and kind man.

3. Approachable
a. V 18
b. Accessible and approachable with any problem.
c. Not judgmental, critical, condemning or rejection prone.

4. Unashamedly Compassionate
a. V 20
b. Strong enough to show his love.

5. Forgiving
a. V 22-24

Forgiveness says: I do not wish you to bear the guilt or any longer stand in danger of being punished for what you did. Therefore I choose to declare this thing completely settled and I will not bring it up ever again:
1. To You – in efforts to illicit guilt
2. To Myself – stirring up anger or resentment, criticism or judgment
3. To Others – in hopes people will see me better or saintly
4. To God – trying to get Him to punish or change you

All God ever wanted to be was a Father. And, before God’s Son was born, God chose a man to be the earthly representation of a father to Jesus. God evidently values the role of a father in every child’s life.

Men, you have the potential to be the perfect father God chose for your children, your biological children; your adopted children; and the spiritual children God intends you to have.

Families, honor the fathers among you as gifts from God. Pray for us – we need it – being an earthly representation of God is not always easy.

You can read the rest of that story at your leisure and as you do, see if you can find some other redeeming qualities that make a man the father God intended him to be. And remember men,

Respect the growing family relationships and let them evolve in a healthy way; establish a reputation for being kind, generous and just; always be approachable; don’t get too big or important to show your family the compassion they deserve; and don’t’ forget … be forgiving.