Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Life Change

Gtcotr/ws051910

It seems like the older I get the less I know, that I know for sure. I used to believe I knew almost everything but came to realize along the way that instead of knowing almost everything, I really just had strong opinions on almost everything.

As I am maturing through life a process is taking place which is causing me to identify, clarify and hold tight to the few things which I really do know. I may end up not knowing but a few things, but the few things I do know, those things which have stood the test of life and time are more valuable to me than ever before.

For instance:

1. I know that there is nothing more powerful than love.
* The love of God for mankind.
* The love one person has for another
> Whether it be a man for his wife or a woman for her husband
> The love of a mother for her children
> The love people have for money, fame, power or position
> The love Samson had for Delilah
* Both love which is right and misplaced love, both are powerful.

2. I know God is good; He loves me, knows my name and has a special plan for my life.
* Despite the ills of life which come our way, God is good.
* God is working all things together for the good.
* God can be trusted with my every thought, hope, dream & desire.
* I can talk to Him and He listens and considers my every request.

3. I know that Jesus is the Son of God, Messiah, Savior, Lord and Friend.

4. I know that the Bible is the inspired Word of God.

5. I know God will forgive, accept and help anyone, at any time, if they are only willing to turn their life over to Him.
* Everyone is a candidate for a life change
* Both the sinner and the saint
> The sinner can be born again
> The saved can have a new day, a fresh start, and another chance.

Life change is something I know something about.

How do you get a life change?

For those who have never been ‘born again’, the life change you need is found in salvation.

However, tonight I feel compelled to speak to those of you who have been saved, those of you who have had a previous encounter with God, do believe that Jesus is the Son of God who paid for your sins on the cross of Calvary. Tonight I want to speak to you who know God, love God and yet need a life change.

Mark 14 NKJV
66 ¶ Now as Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant girls of the high priest came.
67 And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked at him and said, "You also were with Jesus of Nazareth."
68 But he denied it, saying, "I neither know nor understand what you are saying." And he went out on the porch, and a rooster crowed.
69 And the servant girl saw him again, and began to say to those who stood by, "This is one of them."
70 But he denied it again. And a little later those who stood by said to Peter again, "Surely you are one of them; for you are a Galilean, and your speech shows it."
71 Then he began to curse and swear, "I do not know this Man of whom you speak!"
72 A second time the rooster crowed. Then Peter called to mind the word that Jesus had said to him, "Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny Me three times." And when he thought about it, he wept.

Peter knew Jesus and knew what was right and yet he acted as though he did not. But, Jesus did not leave him there – at his last worst mistake …

In John 21:15-17, Jesus again spoke to Peter and asked him three times, “Peter, do you love me?” Each time Peter affirmed his love and Jesus re-confirmed him.

Although Peter knew Jesus, what Peter needed was a fresh encounter with Him. Peter needed to hear the voice of his Lord once again confirming him, once again including him, once again forgiving him.

Sometimes in life we need a fresh encounter with Jesus, the Church, and the things of God.

It was even so in the Old Testament days as we can see by the life of Jacob. Genesis 28 tells us that Jacob, after being raised in a good family, had a personal encounter with God. It was at Bethel, which means the House of God, that Jacob made his first recorded commitment to give his life to God.

Some 20 years later, married now with several children, many servants and much property, Jacob found himself in need of a life change. Literally he was at the place where he did not know what to do and he was afraid.

The story can be found in Genesis 32. It is a long story which you can read for yourselves but allow me to cover the meat of tonight’s message from the passage beginning in verse 24. (I have taken the liberty to highlight some of the critical elements leading to a life change)

Genesis 32 NKJV
24 ¶ Then Jacob was left alone; and a Man wrestled with him until the breaking of day.
25 Now when He saw that He did not prevail against him, He touched the socket of his hip; and the socket of Jacob’s hip was out of joint as He wrestled with him.
26 And He said, "Let Me go, for the day breaks." But he said, "I will not let You go unless You bless me!"
27 So He said to him, "What is your name?" He said, "Jacob."
28 And He said, "Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed."
29 Then Jacob asked, saying, "Tell me Your name, I pray." And He said, "Why is it that you ask about My name?" And He blessed him there.
30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: "For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."
31 Just as he crossed over Penuel the sun rose on him, and he limped on his hip.
32 Therefore to this day the children of Israel do not eat the muscle that shrank, which is on the hip socket, because He touched the socket of Jacob’s hip in the muscle that shrank.

1. He was alone. Life change is something only you can do.
2. God demands that we participate in our miracles and the miracle of life change can definitely be a struggle. In other words, it may not be easy.
3. We must be determined to not let go until we are blessed – changed!
4. Jacob had a name change which represents a change in nature. He struggled with God for help and with himself to change. He did not just leave it up to God but he pressed himself to change as well.
5. What you need is to see the face of God … to have a fresh encounter with God face to face and you will survive.
6. Never trust yourself or anyone else who does not walk with a limp. Our encounters with God should change us, and change us so that everyone else can see.
7. Jacob’s change, and ours, should last not only for the rest of our life, but will speak to and impact our children and our children’s children for generations to come.

Now that’s a life change and it happened at a fresh encounter to Jacob, a man who already knew God and had already had an initial personal encounter with Him.

What about you? Do you need a life change? Then: Get alone with God; participate in your miracle; it may not be easy; you will need to be determined; but God hang in there; you will see the face of God; He will change what needs to be changed in you if you will work with Him; and, it will not only change you but impact others for years to come.