Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Avoiding Shipwreck on the Sea of Life

Paul had much to say in regard to these three things:
1. Dilemma of Man
2. Doctrine of Christ
3. Deception in the Church (NT)

Key Scripture: I Timothy 1:18-20:
This charge I commit unto you, son Timothy according to the Prophecies which went before on you, that you by them might war a good warfare. Holding Faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning Faith have made shipwreck. Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

Focused Faith:
Joseph – in speaking to his brothers, Genesis 50:20 “but as for you, you thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.”

Sacrificial Faith:
Abraham – reassuring his son of God’s provision,
Genesis 22:8 “My, son, God will provide Himself a lamb for a Burnt Offering; so they went both of them together.”

Committed Faith:
Joshua – to the gathered Tribes of Israel
Joshua: 24:15 Now therefore fear the Lord, and serve Him in sincerity and truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt: and serve ye the Lord. And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom you shall serve; whether the gods which your fathers served who were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Steadfast Faith:
Ruth to her mother-in-law, Naomi
Ruth 1:16-17
And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave you, or to return from following after you: for where you go, I will go; and where you lodge, I will lodge: your people shall be my people, and your God my god:
Where you die, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part you and me.”


Repentant Faith :
David’s prayer to God.
Psalm 51:4 Against You, You only; have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight: that You might be justified when You speak, and be clear when You judge.”

Unwavering Faith:
Job statement of faith when his friends confront him.
Job 13:15-16 Though he slay me, yet will I trust in Him: but I will maintain my own ways before Him. He also shall be my salvation: for an hypocrite shall not come before Him.

Sanctified Faith:
Daniel’s faith exhibited before the king of Babylon.
Daniel 1:8: But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.

Revelatory Faith:
Peter’s response to Jesus.
Matthew 16: 15-16
He said to them, But whom say you that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said You are the Christ the Son of the Living God!

Evangelistic Faith:
The Woman at the Well
John 4:28-29
The woman then left her water pot, and went her way into the city, and said to the men, Come see a Man, which told me all things that ever I did; is not this the Christ?

Triumphant Faith:
Paul to Timothy
II Timothy 4:7-8
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the Faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a Crown of Righteousness which the Lord, the Righteous Judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also who love His appearing.