Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My Testimony

Gtcotr/ws040208

On July 27, 1973 I joined the United States Air Force where I served for the following six years. During that time I rededicated my life to the Lord and began a journey to know God in a deeper, more intimate way.

I was honorably discharged from the AF in June of 1979 and went to work with my father operating heavy equipment while attending East Texas State University in the evenings. Brenda was a Tupperware sales lady and full time wife and mother. We attended a small country Baptist church where we had gotten married six years earlier.

During the last few months of 1979 Brenda and I pursued God through intense prayer and bible study. We managed our life so that we had blocks of time to dedicate ourselves to learning more about the Kingdom. All in all, despite the fact that we had very little money, lived in a borrowed home with two babies and were meeting ourselves coming and going, those days were some of the best days of our life.

I knew in my heart that God had called me to be in ministry and as a result I studied hard and practiced putting together sermon outlines. I wanted to be ready, instant in season and out of season, just in case somebody asked me to preach.

On January 5, 1980, it was a Saturday evening, I sat down and developed a sermon entitled, “The Force of Patience”. Wow, it was a powerful message built around the idea that Patience stabilizes our faith and keeps us in the position to receive from God.

How do I remember such details, well it’s because of this little spiral notebook I hold here. These are notes from those days. What I want to refer to tonight however is not the notes from Saturday, January 5, 1980, but rather the notes from the next day, Sunday, January 6, 1980. Here is what God said to me that day which still speaks to me and I offer it tonight as a Word from God to you also.

2 Timothy 1 KJV

8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God.

13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 2 KJV

2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.

22 ¶ Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

As I look back on those early days studying the word of God and learning His principles of truth I realize that He was building His Kingdom in my life, block by block, word by word, day by day. I can now clearly see what I could not see then … God was working on me daily.

God works on us and in us so that in a day to come He may work through us in greater measures. Day by day you are being changed and molded, inspired and instructed, handled and harnessed to do the greater works of God in due season.

Every truth you learn from God, whether by study of by life experience, adds to your value in the Kingdom plan. We have this promise from God that He will perfect that which concerns us.

Psalms 138:8 The LORD will perfect that which concerns me …

Every day, in every way God is building His home in you. Don’t worry, be happy – He will not fail!