Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Giving and Forgiving

Synopsis: Giving and Forgiving are essential elements of healthy, Divinely inspired relationships. In this message the listener will be challenged to review their primary relationships and seek God to supply the love and forgiveness it takes to make and keep covenant.

Gtcotr/ws101007

In 1976 I had the privilege of attending the University of Maryland’s extension campus located outside of London while I was stationed there with the United States Air Force. This is the setting in which I was able to complete the English and Literature requirements for my degree.

Living in Great Britain afforded me the opportunity to do these studies while traveling to many significant sites. When we studied Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, for example, our class sat to listen on the stones of the wall surrounding Canterbury near the place where Thomas Beckett was murdered.

When I studied Shakespeare I went for classes to the town of Stratford Upon Avon, where William Shakespeare was born and where Brenda and I attended several plays at the Shakespearean Theater which is still performing his works.

Although I do not ascribe to any philosophy other than that of the Holy Word of God as contained in the Bible, nonetheless I do embrace Bible truths when I see or hear them espoused by others. One piece of work that has spoken truth to me through the years is found in:

Shakespeare’s Sonnet, #116

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

God places love deep in the heart of man for purpose. This sonnet reminds us that One purpose of true love is commitment; enduring and unfailing commitment to relationship without regard to the personal costs or the hardships.

Let’s look at a portion of scripture that gives us insight into divinely inspired and orchestrated relationships.

Ephesians 4 KJV

15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Divinely inspired relationships are not the result of one individual looking for what they can get from another but rather they are based upon realizing that God is connecting us to another for what we can give to them.

Man joins himself to others based upon what they may get … what may be of benefit to them or how it might satisfy or fulfill or somehow secure some element of life or blessing for their own selves.

God connects people together based upon what they can give to the relationship, not what they can get from it.

When a relationship is initially based upon what one can get from the other:

Future

Security

Fulfillment of pride, ambition, lust or physical satisfaction …

That relationship is not a covenant relationship.

Many relationships have been birthed out of lust, personal need, desire, rational thinking, selfish ambitions, physical attractions, security, and/or other self serving or best interest considerations.

Love may not have been the overwhelming motivation or even had anything at all to do with it. However:

Love is an essential element of a covenant relationship.

Let’s look at some covenant relationships based on love and the motivation to give:

* God to Man

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

* Man to God

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

* Man to Man

1 Samuel 18:1 And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.

Ruth 1

16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:

17 Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

* Marriage

Genesis 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Ephesians 5:22-33

33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Recently I read an article that included a piece on covenant. Let me share it with you … it is entitled:

LIVING IN HACEED
by Richard A Murphy in an article ‘Covenant or Contract’

Copyright 1998 by Maranatha Life


When people enter into a true covenant they really need very few rules to go by. This is because the relationship is based on Haceed. The concept of haceed is so central to a covenant that it defines their lives. Every action that they take will reflect the haceed they have for each other.

What is haceed, you ask? Well, haceed is love. But, not love as we know it in this country. Not the, "I love my car, I love chocolate, and I love my spouse too." I'm sure you've heard people say things like that. If I were the spouse, I wouldn't put much stock in that love. Besides, people who say things like this probably love their car more than their spouse.

Unfortunately, haceed doesn't really translate into English. We only have one word for love, where Greek, for example, has five; each meaning a different type of love.

The best translation I have come up with is

"an overwhelming desire to give yourself to the other person for their benefit, regardless of the cost to yourself."

Read that over a couple of times; it's quite a mouth full.

Do you see where the priority is? It isn't in self, but in the other person. Looking for ways and opportunities to meet their needs and desires. Looking for opportunities to give.

This is covenant and this is how God loves by giving without regard to the costs.

Not only are Divinely inspired and blessed relationships based on what we can give to the ones God has joined our heart to … but it is kept inspired and blessed through forgiveness.

Covenant relationships are birthed by giving and strengthened by forgiving.

Forgiveness, like love, is an essential element of covenant relationship.

Forgiveness is the initial step toward restoration of broken fellowship, wounded spirits and divided relationships.

When we forgive we need to pledge to not bring the situation up ever again to:

1. The person

2. God

3. Ourselves

4. Others

Remember, forgiveness is sometimes a process. A work in progress and a battle for control of the mind, will and emotions.

What do we do if we do not have these two essential elements of covenant in our current relationship?

We ask God to supply them.

Perhaps you have been hurt by someone, disappointed by a friend, betrayed by a marriage partner or maybe you are the offending party and have broken covenant with someone whom God wanted to join you to.

It’s also possible that someone here initially entered into a relationship for what they could get out of it instead of what they could give to it. Without the motivation of love and it’s spurring us on, then there is nothing left but rationalization.

I know that there are those listening who feel like their relationship, either with God or with someone else, maybe a spouse, has gone through a test or is being tested now and they don’t know how to get that loving feeling back.

Without love we can never be truly close and will never enjoy God’s best for our lives or the lives of those we are joined to.

God wants to be the strength of your relationships. He will help you.

God is willing to be your supply of love and forgiveness.

Right now I am going to ask you to take the first step in faith.

Bow your heads and consider why you are in the relationships you are in; are you contributing by loving, giving, forgiving? Were these relationships initiated for the wrong reasons? Do you need to ask God to forgive you and help you to establish a new and fresh covenant in your relationship?

Would you pray with me right now and make your new covenant vow to God. Let Him hear you say that you are in love with Him and desire to pursue Him and find ways to bless Him and give yourself more and more to Him and His needs.

Next, if you are here or watching this broadcast right now with your spouse, it’s time to make a new covenant with them. Perhaps the relationship got off to a bad start or maybe there have been stresses and strains in the relationship and it’s just not producing the joy and fulfillment you once hoped for. Maybe you don’t feel love for the other person or perhaps you no longer feel loved and pursued.

Right now I need you to be willing to ask for forgiveness and also be willing to forgive the other as well. Once you pull the trigger on love and forgiveness, it may be tested … but God will be right there helping you all the way, becoming a supply for your every need.

It will be your responsibility to guard your mind and heart by keeping your focus on God’s will and praying, fasting, confessing His Word and singing His songs of praise to yourself.

God will not let you down.

Turn to your spouse right now – the rest of you just provide a prayer covering for these who are making new covenant right now.

In fact, couples, stand together and look at one another and repeat with sincerity.

Please Forgive me – I forgive you

I choose to make a new covenant with you right now.

With God’s help I will love you, keep forgiving you as necessary, and give myself to you as is pleasing to God.

This is my covenant.