Sunday, June 12, 2005

The Pattern Life

The Pattern Life

Gtcotr/ss061205

Key Scripture: 1 Corinthians 11:1 ¶ Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. (NKJV)

(NIV) Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

Our text for today comes from:

John 11:35 Jesus wept.

What conclusions can we draw from this scripture?

Jesus had friends

Life long friends - Friends He cared about.

Took time to build and maintain these friendships

Time just hanging out together, eating, fellowshipping etc.

Different than His disciples, followers, family & others

Jesus valued His friendships and they affected His life.

Jesus was not afraid to show His human frailty

He allowed Himself to feel and expressed His feelings

He knew life and death from the eternal perspective …

But also from the temporal earthly perspective

He was sad and at a loss

He was hurt and missed His friend

He cried when His friends cried and when they died

Honest emotional expression can be cathartic to everyone

Sometimes we need to just open up and be honest with our emotions and not be afraid to show our human side

When Jesus was burdened, He talked to God

“Father, I thank You that You have heard me” John 11:41

The Apostle Paul said:

1 Corinthians 11:1 ¶ Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. (NKJV)

Did the Apostle Paul follow Jesus’ example?

#1: Did Paul make friendships a priority?

At Ephesus, when Paul was about to get into deep trouble … he ended up listening to his friends who gave Paul sound counsel …

Acts 19

30 Paul wanted to appear before the crowd, but the disciples would not let him.

31 Even some of the officials of the province, friends of Paul, sent him a message begging him not to venture into the theatre.

When Paul was a prisoner, bound and on his way to Rome:

Acts 27:3 The next day we landed at Sidon; and Julius, in kindness to Paul, allowed him to go to his friends so they might provide for his needs.

#2: Did Paul ever let others see his human side?

Although Paul certainly was spiritual, he was real, touchable and human. He did not feel that he always had to act super-human.

If Jesus was tempted in all manner like as we are, then it is certain that Paul was tempted too and so will we be … the feat is to not allow our humanity to become carnality and lead us into sin.

Paul revealed his human side to all of us when he identified with the common struggle to resist sin.

Romans 7

24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin? (NLT)

15 I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. (NRSV)

18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to dothis I keep on doing. (NIV)

The Apostle Paul continues to express the frustration with his humanity and its wrestle with the pleasures of sin.

In this he says:

24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?

25 Thanks be to Godthrough Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to Gods law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin. (NIV)

Paul identified with the struggles which humans face in life’s daily challenges. Paul also wrestled with temptations of the flesh and mind.

Continuing in Chapter 8 of the book of Romans, Paul gives the remedy which frees mankind from the law of sin and death - it is:

Christ Mindedness!

Having our minds filled with the words and praises of Christ, keeping spiritual things our focus and our continual diet.

Like Jesus, Paul was honestly expressive concerning the frailties of his humanity.

#3: Did Paul talk to God when he was burdened?

Acts 16:25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.

The Apostle Paul said:

1 Corinthians 11:1 ¶ Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. (NIV)

#1: We too need friends.

For this we must show ourselves friendly. Proverbs 18:24

A friend loves at all times. Proverbs 17:17

Even God has friends:

Abraham was a friend of God … James 2:23

Enoch was God’s friend … Hebrews 11:5

The best friend you will ever have is Jesus!

John 15:15 Jesus called us friends

John 15:14 You are My friends if you do what I ask.

#2: We need to value the expression of our human feelings

We need not try to appear super spiritual with never a temptation, never a trial, never a burden, never a need.

We know that God always gives victory and triumph to those who walk in His ways - but what overcoming testimony does one have if we appear to never have had a trial or test in life.

All have sinned … everyone has turned to his own way … the victory is in Christ not in us, but in Christ in us, this is the hope of glory. Colossians 1:27

#3: When we are burdened, we need to talk to God

A part of the remedy of Romans 8 which the Apostle Paul delivered to us is prayer.

When Jesus’ friend Lazarus died, Jesus spoke to His Father God … He groaned in the Spirit … read it in:

John 11:33 ¶ Therefore, when Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her weeping, He groaned in the spirit and was troubled.

We also have this grace of spirit to reach God without words:

Romans 8:26 ¶ Likewise the Spirit also helps our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Conclusion: Ephesians 5:1 ¶ Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.