Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Points to Ponder

Points To Ponder

Gtcotr/ws121504

Over 20 years ago I began a practice of reading from the book of Proverbs each day. There are 31 chapters in Proverbs which corresponds to and accounts for each day of every month.

Using this ‘Proverbs For The Day’ system, I always know exactly where to go to get a piece of my daily bread from Heaven. On the 16th, I go to Proverbs 16, on the 21st I go to chapter 21 and so on.

I read the whole chapter and then attempt to settle in on one particular thought or verse which speaks to me. I use that scripture to meditate on for that day. It continues to amaze me just how specific a supply these Proverbs are for my daily needs.

This ‘Proverbs For The Day’ method combined with my other daily bible reading has given me a respect for the encapsulated truths from God’s word.

Today is December 15th so according to this plan one would read from Proverbs 15. Today I found a scripture that spoke to me and I have attempted to meditate on it, be more conscious of its implications and put it into practice in my life situations today. My Proverb for the day today is:

Proverbs 15:1 ¶ A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.

Not nearly every day of the past 20 years have I kept to this plan, but in total representation of my life, I have been and am a Proverbs man.

I believe that this has affected my life in several ways.

* I always have a ready answer to the questions of life.

* I love to boil down the truth I understand and encapsulate it in a single thought or phrase.

I often find myself thinking and speaking in Proverb form:

* Single sentences or central thoughts that cut to the heart of a truth.

This is where my original 122 Point Sermon came from. Encapsulated truth that I had come to know, trust and rely on.

Truths such as:

* God has a plan

He will succeed

We have an opportunity to participate

* What you are going through may not be punishment for your past but positioning for your future.

* God does not first seek your permission before He upsets your plans.

* The journey is your friend.

Each year I add to my ‘Points to Ponder’. This past year has been no exception. I’ve learned many things this year and when I could afford it I have put in the extra time necessary to meditate on my lessons of life in order to boil the truth down to a simple statement which I could easily rehearse to myself and readily repeat to others.

Tonight, as we draw close to the end of 2004, I want to take a little of our time together and recap some of the truths we have learned together this past year. Perhaps this review will help to solidify some of the things God has done in our lives and perhaps these points will help us to get a handle on God’s work so we can rehearse it to ourselves and be ready to share it with others.

I. Truths That Transcend Time

A. Point #282 God will never fail us in helping us to not fail Him.

1. If it is our goal to please Him, He will make sure we do.

2. As with each of these points, there are scriptural basis:

* Hebrews 13:5 For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

6 So we may boldly say: "The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"

* Psalms 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD

* Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;

6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

* Just read all of Psalms 37

B. Point #260. The future will tell the truth.

1. Luke 12:2 "For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known.

3 "Therefore whatever you have spoken in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have spoken in the ear in inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops.

2. Romans 14:11 For it is written: "As I live, says the LORD, Every knee shall bow to Me, And every tongue shall confess to God."

12 So then each of us shall give account of himself to God.

II. Some Other Points

For the sake of time tonight, allow me to briefly include a few more of these ‘Points to Ponder’ without expounding on them quite as much.

If they speak to you then I challenge you to search them out, study the scriptures and see if they measure up to a principle reflecting the whole counsel of God’s word.

A. Point #259. Unless you already know everything, you are a candidate to learn something.

B. Point #256. God first calls, then equips and finally positions us for our greatest day.

C. Point #254. Our future depends on what we do today.