Sunday, April 25, 2004

Conclusions

Conclusions
gtcotr042504
My father’s parting counsel
The Parting Counsel Of A Dying Man Deserves The Full Weight Of His Life
Our final text today will be read from 2 Timothy, Chapter 4
Key Scripture: Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all.
From Genesis to the book of Revelation, we find all encompassing statements aimed at bringing conclusion to the great matters of life.
On Top Of Our Key Scripture, Some Other Bible Conclusions Are In:
Micah 6:8 He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?
Hebrews 13:16 But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
James 5:12 But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath. But let your "Yes," be "Yes," and your "No," "No," lest you fall into judgment.
As you may know, our church is busy attempting three major missions which we feel called to: Our Three Major Missions
First: Help people miss an eternity in hell.
Second: Help people miss the hell of this life.
Third: Raise up runners for the next lap.
I accepted these challenges as a fairly young man and always hoped that I would be able to run my race, finish my course and keep the faith which was once delivered to the saints.
Early on I realized that I actually knew very little about life and that I would need counsel, training and wisdom beyond my years or experience if I was going to accomplish this call.
So, through the years I have taken my opportunities to solicit and catalog the wisdom of several mature saints of God. I have asked what they, late in their race, considered to be the secrets to life. What conclusions have they drawn which they could pass on to me before they pass on to heaven.
I have taken the time to meditate on their responses, boil them down and put them into three simple concepts. Each of these are in line with God’s word and will, and I have adopted them as structure for my own convictions and disciplines of life. So, from the heart of a now seasoned servant of God, here are my conclusions for living a pleasing and productive life. (This presupposes a person is already born again) My Conclusions
1. Let your word be your bond
2. Pay your just and honest debts
3. Treat others the way you want to be treated
I. 1st, Our Word
A. We live in a world today that has removed expectancy that a person’s word means something.
B. More personal than a contract, less passionate perhaps than a covenant, is our word - it’s basic and simple, powerful & dependable.
C. When God wanted to reveal Himself --- He sent His Word
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
John 17:14 I have given them Your word …
D. Let me ask, How is it that we can be sure we are saved?
Revelation 19:13 He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
E. How can we be sure things are going to be ok? Because:
Jesus gave us His Word!
Psalms 138:2 God magnified His Word above all His Name.
Numbers 23:19 God is not a liar, nor does He have to change what He says, If He said it He will do it, if He spoke it, He will make it good.
F. If we want to be more like Jesus, we must:
1. Say What We Mean
* Be honest
* Speak the truth
2. Do What We Say
* Learn the value of commitment
* Make quality decisions
3. Let Our Word Be Our Bond
II. Next, Our Debt
A. Debts do not just deal with money which is owed
* The story of Elgin Taylor, the man I owed.
* Romans 13:7 Render honor to whom honor is due.
* 1976 to 1999 - 23 years later I paid a debt of honor I owed
B. When it comes to bills, taxes, love, tithes, appreciation, gratitude, honor or respect …
C. Pay your just and honest debts
III. Finally, Our Testimony
A. We are writing the story that others will one day tell about us.
B. We are building the testimony that will be used as evidence at eternity’s trial. (if your comfort is at all important to you, get to work)
C. If we live life like it is all about us and ours, I am concerned that we will miss the whole point.
Philippians 2:4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
Matthew 7:12 ¶ "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
D. Simply Put: Treat others the way you want to be treated.
1. Put yourself in their shoes
2. Romans 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
One day your life will be concluded, what will the conclusion be?
Joke about 3 Cajuns discussing what they want people to say about them at their funeral. (3rd one: oh!, look!, he’s still breathing)
Here is what God spoke through the Apostle Paul as parting words from a seasoned servant - A dying man’s plea
2 Timothy 4 (NLT)
1 ¶ And so I solemnly urge you before God and before Christ Jesus—who will someday judge the living and the dead when he appears to set up his Kingdom:
2 Preach the word of God. Be persistent, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.
3 For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to right teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever they want to hear.
4 They will reject the truth and follow strange myths.
5 But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at bringing others to Christ. Complete the ministry God has given you.
6 As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near.
7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.
8 And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness that the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his glorious return.
What Did The Holy Spirit Say Through Paul In This Transitional Moment?
Among other things - what stands out to me:
* Keep A Clear Mind
* Don’t Be Afraid Of Suffering For The Lord
* Work At Bringing Others To Christ
* Complete The Ministry God Has Given You