Sunday, March 14, 2004

Touced By God

TOUCHED BY GOD

Gtcotr/ss031404

While you are turning to: The Book of Daniel (KJV)

Let me set us up for the message today by telling you a story about Israel’s first King. This takes place at the time when the prophet Samuel anoints Saul in front of the people and:

I. Saul Becomes King Of Israel

1 Samuel 10

24 And Samuel said to all the people, See ye him whom the LORD hath chosen, that there is none like him among all the people? And all the people shouted, and said, God save the king.

25 Then Samuel told the people the manner of the kingdom, and wrote it in a book, and laid it up before the LORD. And Samuel sent all the people away, every man to his house.

26 And Saul also went home to Gibeah; and there went with him a band of men, whose hearts God had touched.

27 But the children of Belial said, How shall this man save us? And they despised him, and brought him no presents. But he held his peace.

A. We See Two Types Of People In The Kingdom

1. v.26 Men whose hearts God had touched

2. v.27 Those who

a. doubt their King

b. disrespect those who are in authority over them

c. despise the chosen leader

B. Like so many other leaders, Saul had humble beginnings and great potential, but he lacked the courage to rise above his fears

1. Courage is not the absence of fear.

2. Courage is gaining victory over the demands of your fear.

Note: At times in men’s lives, support from those surrounding them makes the difference and encourages men to rise above their fear and lead with true vision and conviction.

Note: Some truly great men and women of God however, follow their conviction and their passion with great discipline in spite of and without dependence on the support of others. Perhaps these are those who have been touched by God.

Just as in Saul’s Day, today there are still:

II. Two Types Of People In The Kingdom

A. Those who always seem to be defeated

B. Those who seem to have something special

III. Compare & Contrast

A. A Man Like King Saul

1. chosen of God and promoted

2. the man for the moment (he had the goods)

3. given an opportunity to serve his generation

4. He failed

B. A Man Like Daniel

1. chosen of God and promoted

2. the man for the moment (he had the goods)

3. given the opportunity to serve his generation

4. He succeeded

C. What Made The Difference?

1. 5 times in Daniel’s life something special happened to him

2. 1 reason why it continued to happen

IV. What Was So Special About Daniel?

A. God Touched Him - and not just once

B. Five Things That Will Happen When God Touches You

1. It will set you up-right.

Daniel 8:18 Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright.

a. Luke 13:11ff There was a woman who was bowed over and could not lift herself up - but Jesus touched her and straightened her right up.

note: she went to the same church as Jesus ... it pays to go ...

(1) bowed over for 18 years

(2) it was the Sabbath

(3) she was set upright & glorified God

b. it displeased the religious people

(1) they doubt the touch of God on a person’s life

(2) they disrespect the touch of God on anyone

(3) they even despise the touch of God on others

note: these are the same children of Belial in 1 Samuel 10

2. It will give you skill & understanding

Daniel 9

21 Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.

22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.

a. Exodus 31 Bezaleel was touched by God and became a skilled worker with understanding of how to craft the temple furniture

b. Psalms 144:1 God is teaching my hands & fingers (skill)

3. It will correct your posture

Daniel 10:10 ¶ And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands.

a. 1 Peter 5:5

* God gives grace to the humble

b. God resists the proud

4. It will open your mouth to speak

Daniel 10:16 And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no strength.

a. speak even to God

b. meaningful & moving prayers that get results

5. It will strengthen you

Daniel 10

18 Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me,

19 And said, O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me.

a. Isaiah 40:31 Those who wait ... renew their strength ...

b. Psalms 84:7 They go from strength to strength

V. Why Was Daniel So Special To Be Continually Touched By God?

Why Did God Choose Daniel? Because:

A. Daniel set his heart and mind to serve the Lord his God

1. Daniel 1:8 Daniel purposed in his heart not to defile himself

2. Daniel 6:10 Daniel did not bow to his fears or the threats of others

3. Daniel 6:11 Daniel was not ashamed of his relationship with God

B. All of this happened before Daniel was touched by God, not afterward.

* Daniel’s character and commitment made him a candidate to be touched by God

C. Right Now ... Right Where You Are In Life

* Set your heart and mind to serve the Lord

* Purpose in your heart not to defile yourself with the things of this world (lust of flesh, lust of eyes & pride of life)

* Refuse to bow to fear or threat or let them rule over you

* Do not be ashamed of your relationship with God

> He will touch you and

> set you up right

> give you skill and understanding

> humility will be your posture

> your mouth will be opened to speak

> He will strengthen you.

VI. The Conclusion

When you are in your 80’s you too can still be building testimony like Daniel did when he faced the hungry lions knowing that not only had God touched him, but that God would send His angels to touch the hungry lions too.

Set your heart to serve the Lord your God.