Sunday, October 26, 2003

Examining The Foundation Continued - Healing

Examining The Foundation Continued

Healing

Gtcotr/ss102603

Many people will never experience the miraculous. It’s like electricity … billions of people will never experience electricity but that doesn’t mean it cannot exist and be enjoyed by millions of others.

If you would like to get ahead of me, turn in your bibles to 1 Timothy

Key Scripture: Luke 5:15 Yet the news about Him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear Him and to be healed of their sicknesses. (NIV)

A big part of the healing is locked up in the hearing.

Isaiah prophesied and both Jesus and Paul quoted the prophecy which declared is found in:

Isaiah 6:10b Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed.

Hearing opens a door of healing

In the days of Samuel the word of God was precious because it was rare that anyone heard from God since there was no open revelation (1 Samuel 3:1) I do not think heaven was closed, rather hearts & minds.

A few years later David restored honor and respect for God and His word and returned the people to the praise and worship of God in His holy sanctuary.

During David’s life he wrote many praise hymns, ballads and psalms to the Lord. Perhaps his life work is best reflected in Psalms 119

(Last Sunday) On Monday many of us began a daily adventure

Today’s bible reading verses are:

Psalms 119:49-56 (KJV)

Psalms 119

49 ¶ ZAIN. Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.

50 ¶ This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.

51 ¶ The proud have had me greatly in derision: yet have I not declined from thy law.

52 ¶ I remembered thy judgments of old, O LORD; and have comforted myself.

53 ¶ Horror hath taken hold upon me because of the wicked that forsake thy law.

54 ¶ Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.

55 ¶ I have remembered thy name, O LORD, in the night, and have kept thy law.

56 This I had, because I kept thy precepts.

David’s key to continual godliness and success was that he held on to what God had told him throughout the temptations, trials and tests of life. Even when he failed, he recovered himself by returning to the precepts of God’s word.

At times I believe the Christian underestimates the value of having heard a word from God and holding on to it.

Here, David asked God to remember the word which He had given him, which word had caused David to have hope in the first place.

This word:

Comforted David in his affliction

Kept David on God’s path

Became David’s mental & emotional strength

Was a constant companion for the journey through life

All because David adjusted himself to reflect God’s word

The book of Revelation says:

Revelation 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. (KJV)

What has this got to do with healing? I‘m glad you asked!

Allow me to speak of that which I know:

My Immediate Family:

Late Summer, 1979

Brenda challenged our family to believe that miracles were available today when she was instantly healed of a fair case of pneumonia

God had given me a word early that same morning

Matthew 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

The story & the prayer of agreement

We respectfully reminded God of His word

1980 - April’s blindness

The Lord made me to know that it was demonic and had to be handled through prayer

1985 - Ashley’s burned feet

God gave us comfort and understanding … He told me:

“Cry unto Me and I will deliver you …”

But it will take faith and faithfulness to go on and go in

1997 - My erratic heart beat & loss of consciousness

After the doctors gave up, a word from God cured me

1986

My father died unexpectedly (unexpectedly to me, but not to God)

I heard a word from God sent me to see him and gave me a special last few days with him wherein he told me my future.

I did not realize that these would be the parting words of a father to his son.

I am following and living those words now. They have spoken to me so many times over the years and given me sound advice and strong guidance. Proverbs tells us to remember these kinds of words.

I could go on and on … but now let’s get on to the book of 1 Timothy

Key Scripture: Luke 5:15 … crowds of people came to hear Him and to be healed of their sicknesses.

A big part of the healing is locked up in the hearing.

You know those scriptures

Mark 5:27 The little woman with the issue of blood

Mark 7:25 The woman with a daughter possessed with a devil

Luke 7:3 The centurion with a sick servant who heard …

They all experienced their miracle healing after they had heard

Have you found 1 Timothy yet? This will be from KJV/AV - reading

I. 1 Timothy 1 This is the Apostle Paul writing to his son Timothy

3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

18 ¶ This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;

19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:

20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

II. War A Good Warfare (We are at war against …)

A. Against The World

B. Against The Flesh

C. Against The Devil

D. Against Other Common Enemies Such As Sickness & Disease

III. Your Personally Assigned Offensive Weapon?

A. The Word Which God Has Spoken About You - logos & rhema

1. Hold onto it by faith

2. Which some having put away have made shipwreck

3. That still, small, almost whispering voice of God -

1 Kings 19:12

B. What Does The Word Say About Healing? Can You Hear It?

1. 1 Peter 2:24 & Isaiah 53:5 say that you were healed 2000 years ago when Jesus was bruised and beaten in your place.

2. James 5:15 The prayer of faith will save the sick

3. Mark 16:18 Believers shall lay their hands on sick people and the sick shall recover

4. Matthew 15:26 Healing is like bread which belongs to the children of God

5. Psalms 103 records The Basic Earthly Benefits of being a child of God: (it includes)

Psalms 103:3 [God] forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases

I encourage you to:

IV. Find What Has God Is Saying To You? Can You Hear Him?

A. Find it in His Word

B. Find it in your heart

C. Find it in Godly Counsel

D. Find it in your past, or where ever you lost it …

E. But for heaven’s sake, Find It!

Find The Word Of The Lord

I would be willing to bet you are going to need it.