Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Prayer 101 Continued

Prayer 101 Continued

Gtcotr/ws081303

Key Concept: Isaiah 56:7; Matthew 21:13; Mark 11:17; Luke 19:46

“My house shall be called a house of prayer.”

The goal of this series is to equip & motivate individuals and families in our church to pray skillfully, joyfully and constantly.

My dream in 1982.

Luke 11

1 ¶ And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.

2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven

I. Sunday we talked about: Getting The Address Correct

A. John 16

23 ¶ And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:

27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

B. Matthew 26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?

C. Neither Jesus, nor Peter or Paul or the early church prayed to angels, saints or demons, but rather to God.

1. Acts 12:5 Peter in prison - the church prayed to God

2. Matthew 26:53 Jesus said He could pray His Father to send 12 legions of angels to assist Him.

3. 2 Corinthians 12 Paul’s thorn in the flesh sent him to God

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee

D. We are called to:

1. Resist the devil & cast out demons

2. Rebuke evildoers & withdraw from them

3. Pull down strongholds in our own lives

4. Be led by the Holy Spirit

5. Obey the commands of Jesus & follow His example

6. Pray to God, praise, thank, bless and worship Him and Him alone.

7. Witness to everyone

II. Tonight: Some Common Prayers Of The Spirit-Filled Christian

A. The Prayer Of Binding & Loosing

1. Matthew 16

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

2. Matthew 18:18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

3. Matthew 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

4. We should look to heaven as our guide & pattern rule book

B. The Prayer Of Agreement

1. Matthew 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

2. Ecclesiastes 4

9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.

10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.

11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?

12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

3. Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

C. Intercession

1. Galatians 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

2. Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

3. Romans 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

4. Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

* Satan interceded before God for Job’s life

* Zechariah 3

1 ¶ And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.

2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?

5. Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

6. 1 Timothy 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

7. Ezekiel 22:30 And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.

D. Petition

Our prayers are to be aimed at changing things in our lives and on earth.

If there are things which need to be dealt with or changed in the heavens to effect the changed needed on earth, then that is God’s business and call.

Take Daniel 10, Gabriel and the Prince of the kingdom of Persia

Take Revelation 12:7 & 20:1 Michael & his angels fight against the heavenly demons

III. The Prayers We Know Much Less About

The prayers prayed by Jesus to His Father God in private

What could They have been talking about?

What do Fathers and Sons discuss?

What do you talk to your Heavenly Father about?

Talking to God!

A prayerful conversation with the Creator of the universe.