Sunday, May 25, 2003

Hold On And Don't Let Go

Hold On And Don’t Let Go

gtcotr/ss052503

Turn to the book of Revelation

The second and third chapters of the book of Revelation contains specific messages addressed to the seven churches which are in Asia.

Although these seven churches did physically exist at the end of the first century AD when the aged Apostle John penned this account given to him by Jesus Christ, it is thought by some that these individual messages were also meant to be given to the churches in each succeeding generation since that time.

Some believe that the universal church on planet earth follows a predictable progression from the church at Ephesus, beginning in the first century, culminating with the church at Laodicea at the end of the last days, each message to the succeeding church being applicable in their day.

Still others believe that these seven churches described here represent types of churches with which the Lord continually deals in every generation.

At any rate we need to be less concerned with those details and more concerned with what we can learn from these strong words of our Lord, which we know were written for our admonition.

Now, lets look at the Book of Revelation

I. Revelation 1:4 The Seven Churches Which Are In Asia

A. Revelation 2:1-7 The Church in Ephesus

B. Revelation 2:8-11 The Church in Smyrna

C. Revelation 2:12-17 The Church in Pergamos

D. Revelation 2:18-29 The Church in Thyatira

E. Revelation 3:1-6 The Church in Sardis

F. Revelation 3:7-13 The Church in Philadelphia

G. Revelation 3:14-22 The Church of the Laodiceans

II. The Message

A. Overcome Your Enemy

1. This Message was to all 7 churches

2. A Promise of reward was attached to each who overcame

B. Jesus Describes Each Church and Gives Individual Admonitions On How That Church Is To Overcome

1. Ephesus

* You have forgotten what My Church is all about

* Repent

Note: I have known some Christians who:

“Instead of marrying the Bride of Christ -- Act more like they’re merely dating the girlfriend of Jesus”

Note: More casual than committed

Note: Saving themselves for something better

2. Pergamos

* Prosperity, gluttony & carnal pleasure have become your goals

* Repent

3. Thyatira

* You follow ambitious, rebellious, self-elected & sinful teachers

* Repent

4. Sardis

* You say you are doing Kingdom work - but - hello!

> NIV says in Revelation 3:2 “Wake up!” You’re not - you’re only a product of a great marketing scheme, some advertising campaign --- but, despite your reputation of being alive, you are as dead as they come. I know your deeds … it isn’t happening Buddy -

* Repent

5. Laodicea

* You have achieved your goals and lost your passion

* Repent

Note: Every remedy of God is aimed at giving individuals a greater future & an eternal reward

Note: Thus far all 5 of these churches were in sin and needed to repent

C. Now, let’s look at the remaining two churches:

6. Smyrna

* I know things are tough and you may not have everything you think you need - but …

* You are richer than you think

* Don’t be afraid of the future - just keep being faithful

7. Revelation 3 The Church at Philadelphia

7 ¶ And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

* I know what you have done for Me

* I have set an open door before you

> No one can shut it

* I know you don’t have much to work with

* But I am going to exalt you above your enemies

* You have been patient

* Now I will protect you from the trying days ahead

* Hold on tightly to what you have

* Don’t let the victory go

III. Conclusion

A. I believe that you are like the Church in Philadelphia

1. The Church of Brotherly Love

2. Fulfilling not only The Great Commandment

* Love God More Than You Love Yourself

* Love Others As Much As You Love Yourself

3. But also fulfilling The Great Commission

B. I believe that God has set an open door before us that no man can shut

C. I know at times things seem tough and tight so that it looks like we don’t have enough to get all of the work of the kingdom done

* But I take courage that “we are richer than we think”

D. Let me encourage you in your personal life - because, as goes the individual, so goes the family & as goes the family, so goes the church.

E. Be Personally Encouraged

* It may seem like you don’t have much to work with

* Be patient

* Don’t let the victory go

The remedy of God is able to give you a greater future and an eternal reward.