Wednesday, April 16, 2003

We Speak What We Believe

We Speak What We Believe

gtcotr/ws041603

Key Scriptures: 2 Corinthians 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Turn to: Numbers 14

20 ¶ And the LORD said, I have pardoned according to thy word:

21 But as truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the LORD.

22 Because all those men which have seen my glory, and my miracles, which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have tempted me now these ten times, and have not hearkened to my voice;

23 Surely they shall not see the land which I sware unto their fathers, neither shall any of them that provoked me see it:

24 But my servant Caleb, because he had another spirit with him, and hath followed me fully, him will I bring into the land whereinto he went; and his seed shall possess it.

25 (Now the Amalekites and the Canaanites dwelt in the valley.) To morrow turn you, and get you into the wilderness by the way of the Red sea.

26 And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,

27 How long shall I bear with this evil congregation, which murmur against me? I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel, which they murmur against me.

28 Say unto them, As truly as I live, saith the LORD, as ye have spoken in mine ears, so will I do to you:

29 Your carcases shall fall in this wilderness; and all that were numbered of you, according to your whole number, from twenty years old and upward, which have murmured against me,

30 Doubtless ye shall not come into the land, concerning which I sware to make you dwell therein, save Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.

31 But your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, them will I bring in, and they shall know the land which ye have despised.

32 But as for you, your carcases, they shall fall in this wilderness.

33 And your children shall wander in the wilderness forty years, and bear your whoredoms, until your carcases be wasted in the wilderness.

34 After the number of the days in which ye searched the land, even forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years, and ye shall know my breach of promise.

35 I the LORD have said, I will surely do it unto all this evil congregation, that are gathered together against me: in this wilderness they shall be consumed, and there they shall die.

36 ¶ And the men, which Moses sent to search the land, who returned, and made all the congregation to murmur against him, by bringing up a slander upon the land,

37 Even those men that did bring up the evil report upon the land, died by the plague before the LORD.

Numbers 14:28 ... Oh for a time machine ... He’s still listening!

I. Faith & Confession

A. Faith: Believing that what God has said is true and will come to pass, despite facts to the contrary.

B. Confession - ‘homologeo’

define: homo & logos

1. Rom 10:10 for the mouth to speak the same thing as the heart believes is confession (all else is teasing, or deceptive speech, lying)

2. confession is a powerful tool

3. confession releases faith or fear, (whatever you believe) to work

4. Confession is a blueprint for your future

a. Pro 4:23 guard your heart with all diligence ... out of it flows ... life

b. Mat 12:34/Lk 6:45 out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks

c. Mat 15:11 & 19 that which comes out of a man defiles a man

d. Num 14:9 Joshua spoke the future of Jericho’s walls of defense

5. There is very little power in words you don’t believe

a. Mat 7:21 not everyone who says Lord, Lord (confesses Jesus)

b. Mat 12:36 account for every idle word (barren; unfruitful)

c. Heb 11:6

* We must believe in before believing for

d. 2Co 4:13 we believe therefore we speak

6. Faith empowers confession

7. Gen 11:6ff Tower of Babel

a. the people were one and had one language (spoke the same thing)

b. nothing could be restrained them in this unity

c. when you are in unity speaking what you believe and do ... power

d. 1Co 1:10 Paul told the church to speak unified words

B. Old Testament Principle Scriptures

1. The Patriarchs Were Guided By Confession

a. Gen 17:5 no longer Abram but Abraham

b. Gen 22:8 “God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering”

c. Heb 11:19 Abraham counted God able to raise up Isaac ...

d. Gen 27:27-29 Jacob stole Esau’s blessings by Issac’s confession

e. Heb 11:21 Jacob blessed both sons of Joseph confessing (Gen 48:5)

2. The Law Demanded Confession

a. confessional statement on the giving of tithes in Deut 26:12-15

b. Lev 16:21 confess over the scape goat

3. King David Understood & Employed Confession

a. Psa 91:2- I will say of the Lord He is my refuge & fortress ... God

b. Psa 141:3 set a watch on my mouth, keep the door of my lips

4. King Solomon The Wise Wrote:

a. Pro 18:20 satisfied with fruit of mouth ... increase of lips ... filled

b. Pro 18:21 death and life are in the power of the tongue ...

c. Pro 6:2 thou art snared by the words of thy mouth ...

5. The Prophets Major (Isa 55:11 so shall my word be...)

6. The Prophets Minor (Mal 2:17 you have wearied the Lord with your words ...)

7. The Common People of God (Num 14:28)

C. What About New Testament Scriptures

1. Gospels

a. Mark 11:22-24 you shall have what you say

b. Luk 17:6 faith as a grain of mustard seed, you could say

2. Acts 3:6 silver and gold ... in the Name of Jesus rise ...

3. Epistles (Heb 10:23 hold fast profession of faith ... )

4. Revelation

a. Rev 19:10 the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy

b. Rev 22:17 the Spirit and bride say come

D. God Confesses

1. Num 23:19 If He said it He will do it … if He spoke it …

2. Rom 4:17 calls those things which be not as though they were

3. Gen 1:3 (it ain’t dark)

Remember:

2 Corinthians 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak

Matthew 12:34 Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks

Conclusion:

* We must change what we believe before we change what we say

* What we listen to will affect how we think

* How we think will shape what we believe

* What we believe will determine what we say

* What we say reveals what we believe & who we trust in

* Saying what we do not believe confirms we are liars

* Confession opposed to God’s revealed word and will

> Accuses God of being weak, uncaring or a liar

> Is strength to the devil’s plot against you

> Could anger God

Remedy:

* Expose yourself to:

> Much Prayer

> A Continual Flow Of God’s Word

> Strong Christian Fellowship

* Meditate On The Word Of God

* Prophesy The Will Of God