Sunday, June 30, 2002

Playing To Win

Playing To Win

GTCOTR/ss063002

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 9 (NIV)

19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.

22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

25 Every one who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.

27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

What Game? (the most important game you will ever play …)

The Game of Life

The game of life is not an individual sport, but a team sport.

The game of life is a team event

Imagine one individual wanting to compete in a football or baseball game or any team event as only an individual … it is not designed for that.

This game has not been a 100 yard dash but a 2000 year marathon relay and we may currently be in sudden death overtime

I. Five Winning Tips

#1. Sign Up (every player must sign up to get on a team)

Enlist in some event that moves the team forward and makes a difference

Let someone know you want to play

What can you do, what are you willing to try out for to help God’s side win?

Get Involved!

Not just a spectator

Be a participator

Not just a hearer but a doer (James 1:23 & 25)

#2. Show Up

Practices (church, family events, community activities)

Games (people are depending on you)

(even when you are not playing … be supportive)

#3. Suit Up

Armor that fits

Proven Armor (1 Samuel 17:39)

The Armor of God (Ephesians 6:11ff)

Garment of Salvation & Robe of Righteousness (Isaiah 61:10)

#4. Get Your Head In The Game

Renewing The Mind (Romans 12:2)

Focus

Keep your eye on the prize

Finish the course

Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

#5. Play To Win

A winning strategy has already been developed

The game will be won by the next generation to follow the plan

What Can You Do?

Familiarize yourself with the rules

Stick with the game plan

Run the play

Stay at your assigned position

Raise up runners for the next lap

This game has not been a 100 yard dash but a 2000 year marathon relay and we are currently in sudden death overtime

The game may outlast you

Pass the baton while you still have speed