Series: Part 3 – The Woman
Psalms 68:6 God sets the solitary in families …
Key Scriptures: Genesis 3
11 ¶ And He said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?"
12 Then the man said, "The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I ate."
Here began the blame game, the first strike at unity in the family. Man’s inherits pride with his sin and in efforts to protect his image is often quick to blame the woman.
2 Corinthians 2:11 lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices. (NKJV)
What does satan want … To divide the family and make it dysfunctional.
I. Isaiah 10
12 Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Lord has performed all His work on
13 For he says: "By the strength of my hand I have done it, And by my wisdom, for I am prudent; Also I have removed the boundaries of the people, And have robbed their treasuries; So I have put down the inhabitants like a valiant man.
14 My hand has found like a nest the riches (chayil) of the people, And as one gathers eggs that are left, I have gathered all the earth; And there was no one who moved his wing, Nor opened his mouth with even a peep."
A. A Prophetic Type & Shadow Of Satan
1. He has
* removed the boundaries - guidelines - standards
* robbed the treasuries
* defeated the inhabitants
* stolen the riches of the people
2. And no one made a fuss, attempted to stop him or complained at all.
2. What Riches? Hebrew word: Chayil
B. Let Me Explain To You Just What Has Been Stolen?
1. Judges 6:12 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him, and said unto him, The LORD is with thee, thou mighty man of valour (chayil). (This, whatever it is, made Gideon valiant)
2. 1 Samuel 16:18 Then answered one of the servants, and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, that is cunning in playing, and a mighty valiant man (chayil), and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the LORD is with him. (It was obvious David had chayil)
3. 1 Samuel 10:26 And Saul also went home to Gibeah; and there went with him a band of men (chayil), whose hearts God had touched.
C. It was prophesied that satan would remove the guidelines, rob the precious substances of life, and defeat the people when he took away the ‘chayil’ of the people.
1. That which made an ordinary man, a mighty man of valour
2. That which turned mere shepherd boys into valiant men, cunning, prudent, comely, wise and Godly
3. That element which caused common men to become men whose hearts God would touch
Note: In the O.T. it became rare to find ‘chayil’ among the people of God. Now in the N.T. it seems even rarer.
Note: satan hates ‘chayil’ people and he fears them. This ingredient when added to a person’s life makes them more than a match for satan’s devices. Every time the devil encounters a ‘chayil’ person, he and his plans have been defeated. No wonder he wanted to steal it.
I know we are talking about women tonight and so far we have only read scriptures which refer to men. Well, guess what? Just like everything else in God’s kingdom, Chayil is no respecter of gender. Look with me in:
II. Proverbs 31
10 Who can find a virtuous (chayil) woman? for her price is far above rubies.
A. God intends all women to be virtuous, chayil, women.
B. Satan has worked hard to remove the guidelines, rob this treasure, put down the inhabitants of the earth, (especially women), and take away the single ingredient from us which makes us everything God created us to be. Chayil!
C. The Chayil woman is the complete woman.
III. The Complete Woman
A. In Proverbs 31 we find a picture of the completed woman
* She can be trusted with another person’s heart
* She is an asset to any relationship
* She does not throw up roadblocks but builds bridges
* She devises ways to help others and make them succeed
* She is enterprising, thrifty and a willing worker
* She is a diligent shopper
* She treats her loved ones to special delights
* She could never be accused of being lazy
* She plans out her days
* She manages the affairs of the home
* She is a shrewd investor for the future
* She is unafraid to engage in the business world
* She takes care of her health and strength
* She is a hard worker
* She knows and values quality merchandise
* She is careful to not run out of necessities
* She is a master of domestic work
* She is an example to those whom she influences
* She is truly charitable
* With one hand she helps the poor
* With both hands she reaches to the needy
* By this she keeps God interested in her success
* She goes the extra mile and double clothes her loved ones
* She sees to the health and comfort of others
* She understands the importance of her own appearance
* She cares about the furnishings in her home
* She promotes the respectability and honor of her husband
* She knows that God favors a man who has a good wife
* She is enterprising and an astute business woman
* She has a feel for what others like
* She is double clothed with strong but elegant clothing
* She is both confident and secure
* She will never be embarrassed nor have to apologize for what she wears, makes or sells to others.
* She has taken the time and care to become educated
* She thinks before she speaks
* She considers how her words will make others feel
* She is committed to kindness
Adam Clarke’s Commentary
In her tongue is the law of kindness. This is the most distinguishing excellence of this woman. There are very few of those who are called managing women who are not lords over their husbands, tyrants over their servants, and insolent among their neighbours. But this woman, with all her eminence and excellence, was of a meek and quiet spirit. Blessed woman!
* She accepts the responsibility of being the moral manager of her loved ones
* She promotes a strong work ethic by her example
* She neither expects nor accepts handouts or welfare in place of work
* She does not lay around the house being unproductive
* She has well behaved children, courteous, mannerly and respectful to their parents
* She proves so valuable to the family that, providing she is married, her husband recognizes it and praises her
B. Vs.29-31 This is what her loved ones say about her
1. When considering all other women, there have been many who have done well, but you have exceeded them all.
2. You have not used charm to deceive others, nor beauty to excuse yourself, but you have truly pleased the Lord.
3. You shall be amply rewarded and everyone shall know it is because of what you did, not what others did for you.
C. This is A ‘Chayil Woman’
A wife, mother, partner, employer, business woman, hard worker, diligent planner, thrifty shopper, encourager, teacher, thoughtful speaker, kind communicator, compassionate, giving, chaste, modest, diligent, frugal, secure, dutiful, careful for her family, discreet educated, respectful and, above all, committed to pleasing God.
This was God’s intent for all women when He created Eve.
IV. Satan didn’t like it and has stolen the guidelines
A. for girls to become virtuous women.
B. We must have some Godly women
1. Rise up - lift their wings - open their mouths and make a fuss about it.
2. Take back the virtue
3. Re-establish the guidelines
4. Restore the values and virtues of womanhood
C. What Can You Do?
1. If you are a man, stop blaming the woman, stop putting her down, talking and thinking and acting like she is less than your equal.
2. If you are a woman … Get Chayil? Where?
2 Samuel 22:33 God is my strength and power (chayil): and he maketh my way perfect.
Psalms 60:12 Through God we shall do valiantly (chayil): for he it is that shall tread down our enemies.
Habakkuk 3:19 The LORD God is my strength (chayil), and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.
Deuteronomy 8:18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth (chayil), that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.
3. Where? Evidently you get it from God
* Well, lets look back at Isaiah 10, where we first began, where it was prophesied that it would be taken and see what God planned to do about it.
27 And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing.
V. How Does A Person Get Out Of The Devil’s Trap
A. The Anointing Of God
1. Means to rub on
2. And to rub off on
B. You need to get so close to God and rub up against Him so much that He rubs off on you.
1. The anointing of God will take the burden from your shoulder
2. The anointing of God will destroy the yoke of bondage
3. The anointing of God will restore Chayil to your womanhood.
4. The anointing of God will lead you to become all God intended you to be.
And men! Get some Chayil yourselves! Become mighty men of valour!
VI. How Do I Get The Anointing Of God?
1. See God As The Answer
Deuteronomy 4:39 Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.
2. Search for Him
Jeremiah 29:13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
3. Surrender to Him - Yield To His Will
1. God Will Relieve The Burden
2. God Will Break The Yoke
3. God Will Restore The Guidelines
(Production Department: Please scroll this passage slowly at this point)
Proverbs 31 (The Message)
10 ¶ A good woman is hard to find, and worth far more than diamonds.
11 Her husband trusts her without reserve, and never has reason to regret it.
12 Never spiteful, she treats him generously all her life long.
13 She shops around for the best yarns and cottons, and enjoys knitting and sewing.
14 She’s like a trading ship that sails to faraway places and brings back exotic surprises.
15 She’s up before dawn, preparing breakfast for her family and organizing her day.
16 She looks over a field and buys it, then, with money she’s put aside, plants a garden.
17 First thing in the morning, she dresses for work, rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.
18 She senses the worth of her work, is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.
19 She’s skilled in the crafts of home and hearth, diligent in homemaking.
20 She’s quick to assist anyone in need, reaches out to help the poor.
21 She doesn’t worry about her family when it snows; their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.
22 She makes her own clothing, and dresses in colorful linens and silks.
23 Her husband is greatly respected when he deliberates with the city fathers.
24 She designs gowns and sells them, brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.
25 Her clothes are well-made and elegant, and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.
26 When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say, and she always says it kindly.
27 She keeps an eye on everyone in her household, and keeps them all busy and productive.
28 Her children respect and bless her; her husband joins in with words of praise:
29 "Many women have done wonderful things, but you’ve outclassed them all!"
30 Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades. The woman to be admired and praised is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-GOD.
31 Give her everything she deserves! Festoon her life with praises!