Lord, Teach Us To Pray
Series: Part 2b
Developing A Personal Prayer Strategy
The model prayer was given to the multitudes in Matthew 6 and to the individual disciples in Luke 11 by Jesus. This guide to prayer, if you will, reveals the pattern of prayer used by Jesus to instruct us concerning how we ought to pray.
Matthew 6 KJV
9 ¶ After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Elements of The Model Prayer
1. Embrace A Relationship With God
* Our Father
2. Acknowledge God’s Higher Perspective
* In Heaven
3. Properly Approach God In Prayer
* Hallowed Be Thy Name
note: Many teachers of the model prayer encourage prayers to stop here and spend some time remembering, respecting and revering the names of God from the Old Testament which in fact reveal God’s nature, character and His intent. Names like:
(1) Jehovah Ra’ah Psalms 23:1 God my Shepherd
(2) Jehovah Jireh Genesis 22:14 God my Provider
(3) Jehovah Nissi Exodus 17:15 God my Victory
(4) Jehovah Shalom Judges 6:24 God my Peace
(5) Jehovah Tsidqenuw Jeremiah 23:6 God my Righteousness
(6) Jehovah Shammah Ezekiel 48:35 God is Here
(7) Jehovah Rapha Exodus 15:26 God my Healer
There are other names and aspects of these same names which give us the nature of our Father and reveal His character and intent to us. Offering these to God in prayer casts relationship and builds faith.
4. Stick To The Purpose of Prayer
* Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
note: This is the meat of prayer. This is where petition begins. Do you know what God’s Kingdom is? It is righteous, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Have you ever read in the Word of God just what the Will of God is? His will is good toward men.
Many times we do know the will of God, but more times than not we do. It is with faith we pray God’s will and with faith we trust Him.
It is here that I encourage prayers to stop and begin to cover their God given responsibilities in prayer. These include:
> Friends & Co-Workers
> Spiritual Leaders
> Community Needs
> Spiritual Impressions
> All People Everywhere
5. Pray For Provision
* Daily Bread
6. Pray For Forgiveness and Grace
* Forgive us as we forgive others
7. Pray For Guidance
* Lead us not into temptation
8. Pray For Divine Deliverance
* Deliver us from the evil one
9. Give Glory To God
* Thine is …
Develop and implement a personal prayer strategy using the elements of the model prayer. It was given as a guide for your daily prayer.