Examining The Foundation Continued
The Spoken Word
(Stand & Read Together - Need This Scripture On The Screen)
Key Scriptures: (NKJV)
Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who live it will eat its fruit.
Psalms 19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.
Our Text Today Will Be Taken From:
The Book Of James, Chapter 3
We Have Thus Far Examined The Foundation Stones Of:
We Pray To God For
* The Financial Covenant Of Tithing
Tithing Is Not An Issue Of The Law, But A Tenant Of The Covenant (Continue In The Series This Wednesday)
* Worship (Which we will revisit in weeks to come)
Never Underestimate The Power Of A Song
* The Words We Speak
Jesus said, “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.” John 6:63
> The motivation of our conversation empowers each word with the spirit of life or death
^ The serpent’s conversation with Eve (Genesis 3)
^ Satan’s conversation with Jesus in the desert (Luke 4)
> Truth is the choice tool of a deceiver
^ Responsible Honesty
^ Irresponsible Honesty
^ Deceptive Honesty
Truth aimed at leaving the wrong impression
* It is a fool who turns the truth into a lie. Romans 1:25
Proverbs 6:16-19 ‘Seven Things The Lord Hates’
1. A proud look
2. A lying tongue
3. Hands that shed innocent blood
4. A heart that devises wicked plans
5. Feet that are swift in running to evil
6. A false witness who speaks lies
7. One who sows discord among brethren
At least 3 of the 7 have to do with the words we speak
Proverbs 16:28 A perverse man sows strife, and a whisperer separates the best of friends.
20 Where there is no wood, the fire goes out; And where there is no talebearer, strife ceases.
21 As charcoal is to burning coals, and wood to fire, So is a contentious man to kindle strife.
22 The words of a talebearer are like tasty trifles, and they go down into the inmost body.
I. The Power Of Life And Death
Text: James 3
1 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.
2 For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.
3 Indeed, we put bits in horses’ mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body.
4 Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires.
5 Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles!
6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell.
7 For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind.
8 But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
9 With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God.
10 Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.
11 Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening?
12 Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.
II. Three Great Truths About The Spoken Words
A. You Can’t Believe Everything You Hear
1. Ecclesiastes 7:21ff Also do not take to heart everything people say, lest you hear your servant cursing you. For many times, also, your own heart has known that even you have cursed others.
2. Acts 17:11 The Bereans listened, but searched for confirmation before making up their minds to believe what was said
3. Proverbs 18:17 The first one to plead his cause seems right, until his neighbor comes and examines him.
B. Out Of The Abundance Of The Heart The Mouth Will Speak
1. Matthew 12
33 Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit.
34 Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
35 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.
36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.
37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.
2. We have to change the root if we want to change the fruit
C. What You Say Will Be Said
1. Luke 12
2 For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known.
3 Therefore whatever you have spoken in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have spoken in the ear in inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops.
2. Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.
III. Words Are Like Seeds
A. They Are Designed To Produce A Harvest
B. Some People Need To Be Praying For A Crop Failure
C. Matthew 7 Says People Are Known By Their Fruit
* What Fruit Are You Known For Producing In Others
1. The Fruit Of The Spirit
2. Rotten, Discontent, Angry or Bitter Fruit
* Now I am talking to those of you who need a change:
You are angry, bitter, tired, frustrated, discontent, disgruntled, quick to judge or make critical remarks … perhaps you design your conversation to deceive or cast a false impression … maybe you are irresponsible with your comments to others and end up sowing discord, hurting others or causing trouble between friends.
D. Ephesians 4 says
1. You don’t have to live that way anymore
2. You can be renewed in the spirit of your mind
3. You can put off that old man with those old ways
4. You can put on a new man with new ways
5. What does it take?